Do you charge a new battery before installation?

Someone on the internet told me, that todays cars are NOT meant to charge up a battery, they are designed to MAINTAIN a battery charge. But I've never had a new battery that was not charged.

Do you charge a new battery before installation?​

If I have the time to do it, yes. I put it on a Deltran Battery Charger Jr, and usually overnight it's good the next morning.

I charge first if it's a new battery, or if it's a new alternator. I've been told that the additional draw on the alternator is not ideal. It's not hard for me to hook up the charger, it does remove and doubt and I feel better about it. :)

Never have. If a battery were to be flat enough to not start first try I'd take it back and get a replacement. But every battery I've gotten has started first try and the time it runs is enough to charge it.

“Do you charge a new battery before installation?”​

Yes, with one exception. I once had no choice because I was out on the road when the battery “died”. That occasion was a swap and go.

Someone on the internet told me, that todays cars are NOT meant to charge up a battery, they are designed to MAINTAIN a battery charge. But I've never had a new battery that was not charged.
That's silly. As long as you have at least 10 amps of input the battery will charge at a good pace. But most economy cars and their economy alternators can give 30a easily. The problem is when the alternator is having to always do that and get stressed.

Depends on the voltage. The new one I got that was 12.08v yes I did.
Personally, I would return a battery that was reading that low. Any voltage under 12.4 V or so will result in sulfation, and a battery at 12.08 V would have been sitting in that sulfating for a long time.

Date codes are useful, but self-discharge rates of lead-acid batteries are highly dependent on ambient temperature. A battery stored in a hot environment may be discharged and sulfating within a couple of months. I just bring a small multimeter into the store to make sure the battery is reading at least 12.4 V.

Depends. Once I installed a battery in a parking lot to try and get the core fee back afterwards, but I didn’t need to. But I then drove about 25 miles. I’m pretty sure I’ve done it before.

If you select a relatively fresh date-coded battery from the rack, why would you charge it?

When you buy a car that's been on the lot for a few months, do you run home, pull the battery, and charge it as well?

If that were the case I’d charge it in situ. I test drove a car once where several of the particular model couldn’t start. Finally got a jump start and I promptly stalled it 200 ft from the dealer. Then they found one on the lot that had a reasonable charge.

If you select a relatively fresh date-coded battery from the rack, why would you charge it?

When you buy a car that's been on the lot for a few months, do you run home, pull the battery, and charge it as well?
I did. The F-150 I bought in 2018 sat undriven on the lot for 5 months. When I got it home the battery was having issues. The battery was weak and would not show the screen and auto start stop would not trigger, power seats and windows were very sluggish and the radio would not play. I charged it overnight at 2 amps and it still was running at 1/2 amp for 12 more hours after it dropped from 2 amps, before going into float mode. After that no problems.

I always charge them no matter the type or size. They are always low on charge somewhat.
Been doing it since back in the day of filling new Atlas batteries with acid at the Esso station.
9 battery started engines in my care.

Back