Do wiper blades dry rot easily in warehouse storage?

Companies such as Bosch, Trico, and Valeo are most likely using a much higher quality natural rubber compound for their wiper inserts than sellers on eBay and Amazon selling lower cost generic alternatives. The domestic OEMs are typically sourcing from companies like Trico, Valeo, and Anco as well.

I have found that Toyota OEM inserts last for years and have heard the same about Honda OEM inserts...not sure if they manufacturer them in-house or outsource them, but they do a good job with them.

I use to go to Jiffy Lube for a NYS Inspection since it was less hassle than making an appt at a indy garage. They would poke and pull at wiper blades looking for them to fail. If they failed they would install new ones at a high price. Or waste the inspection fee, go change them yourself and come back.

I use to go to Jiffy Lube for a NYS Inspection since it was less hassle than making an appt at a indy garage. They would poke and pull at wiper blades looking for them to fail. If they failed they would install new ones at a high price. Or waste the inspection fee, go change them yourself and come back.

Here in PA, the standard for annual inspection of windshield wipers is 5 cycles. As long as the wiper is not torn, and does not smear or streak after 5 or more cycles, it passes. My rear windshield wiper has been streaky and noisy for a couple of years but continued to pass (I think because it is such a pain to replace, and replacement blades are not the easiest to find.) I recently put a new Trico blade on myself and it is 100% better.

I have had instances where a dealer will want to sell me new blades as part of their "upsell" techniques. They usually want anywhere from $65-$90 just for front wipers. That is just highway robbery and I refuse. I cringe when I hear them tell other people in the waiting room that they need new wiper blades and the price is $90, and then people readily agree! There have been times where I have wanted to say to someone "you know, you can go across the street to Autozone and get new wipers for $40 and they will even install them for you." But, it is not my place to get involved in those matters.

When I wash my car I always wipe the wiper blade where it contacts the windshield. Most times blade has dirt on it. My wiper blades last a long time

When I wash my car I always wipe the wiper blade where it contacts the windshield. Most times blade has dirt on it. My wiper blades last a long time

If you see black "dirt" coming off of the blade, it really isn't dirt. It is just the oxidized rubber of the wiper element. It doesn't hurt to wipe down the blade and that will definitely help extend their life, but it is more oxidized rubber than anything that is being removed.

I've never noticed a difference with wipers I've gotten from Rockauto(Bosch, Trico, Anco, etc.) and other closeout places that had different package designs(older) vs. the current in-store models. The only wipers I can recall ever having an issue with were fresh(probably off the boat) ones from the cheap Michelin line at Walmart on two different occasions. I had some 20'' and 17'' blades purchased maybe 3yrs apart that both separated really prematurely(maybe 1.5-2 months max and very little actual use). Currently running a Michelin set on a car that have to be 2+ years old still in good shape. I believe those were the next step up from the cheap line as they have a rubber shroud covering the blade. That shroud probably helps with longevity since it somewhat shields the blades from the sun.

Same issue with my Amazon blades. Streaked right out of the box. It’s just the material they use - cheap rubber. They come in the box without the cover on the rubber, so their open to the atmosphere right after they’re made.

Ones I’ve gotten from Rock Auto close outs seem to go south pretty quickly, I’ve mostly reverted to (over-) paying for Bosch Icons, those seem to last 2-3 years! As opposed to months.
i am with you all the way on the icons, put one set on the 2005 BUICK CENTURY, never changed them in over 6 years, 6 years ago wally world had a deal, maybe 2 blades for $22. THE ONLY TIME THE EVER STREAKED WAS SOME IDIOT PUT RAINEX ON THE WINDSIELD

Back