Do we need to replace the radiator?

The coolant has been slowly leaking for a while and today (maybe since it's gotten warmer), our 2003 Buick LeSabre started to overheat and there was hissing and steam coming from the radiator.

I assume you're going to tell me that it needs to be replaced so can you recommend a nice guide to replace? I'd like to try to do so myself. Thank you!

You could test it first and see where the leak is coming from.
Youtube is your friend. keep in mind that body style was made for years, so the video doesn't need to be for an 03' if you can't find that year.
Make sure you bleed the system properly and replace the cap and thermostat with quality ones while your at it. How old are the hoses?

Go to autozone & borrow their cooling system tester- it pressurizes the system- look for a leak(s) . If you don't find any, do a compression and leakdown check - have a shop do it- might be headgasket time. Whatever you do, don't just throw parts at it, go through the tests first.
Hissing & steam is the end result of an overheated engine, don't continue to drive it until you have found the cause

You can try a stop leak like Bar's Leak tablets (same as something GM sells at the dealer, something with ginger root)

If you do need a new radiator, the OEM radiator is available on Rock Auto, and so is the OE cap and thermostat.

And since you have a GM car with Dexcool/Deathcool, it is a MUST to keep the level up; otherwise, the air in the system will contaminate the coolant and make sludge!

When the car is OFF and COLD (you really don't want to open the radiator cap when hot), add some coolant and look straight down. If the radiator is leaking, you will see dripping immediately underneath or near the radiator. It doesn't have to be running or warmed up since the coolant stays in the radiator even when the engine isn't warmed up and running and the thermostat is closed.

If you have an O'Reilly or Advance Auto Parts nearby, use their rental cooling system tester-the newer Auto Zone ones are pretty frustrating to use. If you don't see the radiator leaking, go back for the combustion gas leak detector-make sure there isn't something more seriously expensive going on!

The coolant has been slowly leaking for a while and today (maybe since it's gotten warmer), our 2003 Buick LeSabre started to overheat and there was hissing and steam coming from the radiator.

I assume you're going to tell me that it needs to be replaced so can you recommend a nice guide to replace? I'd like to try to do so myself. Thank you!
I would replace it with a nice newer Camry myself, but it might be a good idea to see if it can be fixed first? (I know, not that funny)

Then get a radiator. They're pretty cheap now. $60 on ebay.

Really should have done this when it started leaking before stressing the rest of the engine, but now is also a great time to do it. Don't do bar's leak.

That radiator is super easy to change if you have the right tools. The trans lines can give you fits. I unscrew the whole fitting from the old rad while it is still in the car. Once the radiator and fans are out you can screw with the trans fittings much easier.

That radiator is super easy to change if you have the right tools. The trans lines can give you fits. I unscrew the whole fitting from the old rad while it is still in the car. Once the radiator and fans are out you can screw with the trans fittings much easier.
That's a good idea. I've had trans lines ruin my day on an otherwise super easy rad swap.

To the OP. Get a new radiator. I've had good luck with the cheapies from amazon and ebay myself.

Once you get that old radiator out, it's an excellent time to flush out the a/c condenser fins with water and make sure they are clear. As long as the cooling system is drained, I would install a new OEM thermostat and replace the plastic coolant elbows with metal ones.Plan on also topping off your transmission fluid too.

Back