Do we have any locksmiths on here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My $.02...Just get all new locks. As someone suggested above, the builder probably just used cheap junky locks in the first place. Plus, you don't know who might have keys to your house. With all the different people that come and go while doing work on new construction, keys that will open your house could end up in the hands of some pretty shady people. The first thing we did after closing on our house was change all the locks.

Patman
I've had problems with folks copying Kwikset keys. They don't pull the correct blank. I get home and try the key and no go. I look at the copy and sure enough the guy used a #5 instead of a #6. The #5 is a for a 5 tumbler lock and my original has 6 tumblers. It could be that simple.

Are you sure you went to the right house?
laugh.gif

99% of the time it's the stop not set correctly on the machine. Take it off the key ring and compare with the original key. Try another locksmith, hardware store , etc until you find one that has their machine set up correctly. My local Ace couldn't cut a key correctly to save their lives until I gave them a lesson.

Someone above mentioned posting a picture of your key. Don't do that. There's apps that you can send in a picture of "your" house key and they'll mail you a copy of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back