Do we have any locksmiths on here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patman

Staff member
I went to Canadian Tire a few days ago to have a copy made of my house key and when I tried it, the key did not work. When I went back to have it remade, they attempted it again but after it was done they told me they were pretty sure it wasn't going to work and they referred me to a local locksmith in town. (as predicted, the second attempt at the key didn't work) I went to that locksmith yesterday and had four copies made and they didn't work either so I went back again today and the same guy there tried to copy them again but all he really did was try a different key cutting machine, and as I figured, these keys don't work either!! What gives? Why are none of these keys working, what are these people doing wrong? I should say that the latest copies this guy made will work to unlock the front door but they won't lock it. And they don't work on the garage door either (the copies he made yesterday worked perfectly in the garage door but didn't work at all on the front door)

This is a brand new house and the key I'm giving them to copy from is one of the originals from the builder and it works flawlessly.

Is there a particular kind of key cutting machine that I should look out for that is more precise than the ones I might have been experiencing with these two different places here?

Possible to post side by side pics of a key that works and one that doesn't? Are they using aftermarket key blanks?

Bring the lock with you so it can be tested right then and there until it is right. What kind of lock is it? Worst case scrnerio is you rekey the house.

A couple of thoughts.

- your original key may be worn.
- very closely inspect and compare the new keys against the original key. I did that with one key and found the blanks used by the locksmith had a cross section that was just a bit off.... barely noticeable.

Originally Posted by Kage860
Bring the lock with you so it can be tested right then and there until it is right. What kind of lock is it? Worst case scrnerio is you rekey the house.

This^

If the garage entry is keyed the same as the front door, you can bring that lock and they can make the keys and test them right away.

Originally Posted by Patman
I should say that the latest copies this guy made will work to unlock the front door but they won't lock it. And they don't work on the garage door either (the copies he made yesterday worked perfectly in the garage door but didn't work at all on the front door
I've never heard of a key unlocking something but not locking it. I would take the cylinders in, that is weird. Builder grade junk locks?
Is there a particular kind of key cutting machine that I should look out for that is more precise than the ones I might have been experiencing with these two different places here?
Back in 2006 I worked at CT and cut keys. The machine was automatic but the feed rate was too fast and it would not follow the valleys correctly. I remember the store manager specifically telling me to not perform a manual second pass even when almost every key I cut automatically did not work, and the second pass was deffo removing material. I guess it would cut worn keys well but new ones were just too complex for it.

Originally Posted by Kestas
A couple of thoughts.

- very closely inspect and compare the new keys against the original key. I did that with one key and found the blanks used by the locksmith had a cross section that was just a bit off.... barely noticeable.

Could be this.
Who knows where the blanks come from ?
If you have a Digital Caliper, start comparing the Blank Key with your Original.
I would stick with the Lock-Smith as he may take it personally if he can't cut a good key.

I only have Keys duplicated from original / unused keys.
Sounds like you used an original but it was either slightly worn or 'bad' blank.

Do you think lubricating the Locks/Key would help ?

I have no idea what brand it is, it came with the house. Removing it and bringing it with me is not an option, it's beyond my skill level.

Originally Posted by Kestas

I have only been in the house since August, and as mentioned, it's brand new, so the key can't be worn out already.

Originally Posted by MasterSolenoid

Do you think lubricating the Locks/Key would help ?

The locksmith did mention doing that and I tried it, to no avail.

I have no idea what brand it is, it came with the house. Removing it and bringing it with me is not an option, it's beyond my skill level.
It's two screws, dude! Unscrew the screws near the lock cylinder and the inner and outer parts should seperate.

Originally Posted by WhyMe
try inserting it fully and then pulling it out slightly and see if it works .

This is a common problem as the blank key is either not set correctly in the machine or it gets moved while being cut. i had one that gave me fits and i ended up having to shave down a little of the stop right next to the key ring side of the key so it would go into the lock just a smidgen more. I had a lot of rental property and became pretty good at working on locks

Pat want me to stop by on my way home tomorrow and have a look?
grin2.gif

Some locks are really picky about the key being cut dead-right. It's sort of a good thing but frustrating in this type of scenario, I had similar problem with my rental property lock. It's a Schlage Grade II.

Last edited:

Go to a locksmith that has a key punch machine. I had a simular problem last year, the keys that I had "punched" worked better than the key I was using. Felt like I had installed new locks.

There has to be a youtube video out there showing you how to remove it.

Like others have said, it's literally two screws. You shouldn't need the bolt mechanism. That should be able to remain in the door.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back