Do tire places still frown on tire sealer?

in the past i have read that tire places frowned on tire sealant in tires. Seeing that now so many cars come with just a sealant and pump these days, do they still care about tire sealant?

Back in the day, some fix a flat in a can products used flammable propellants. That's no longer the case but there are other reasons it's not good to leave in there long term. One being being the moisture can ruin your TPMS sensor. Another issue is that the leak is prone to return unless it's patched properly, tempting consumers to put additional cans of the stuff in.

Tire guys don't like it because it's messy and they have to take extra time to clean the tire, the rim and their equipment.

Yes, they do. And now in the age of TPMS, it sill make those sensors nasty and require the sensor to be replaced. There is no such thing as a TPMS-friendly sealant :sneaky:

If you need to use it, make sure you tell the tire shop that it's in there when you get new tires.

FWIW, my car doesn't have TPMS, and I used Slime and it held up for almost a year until I replaced the tires. I told the tire shop that I had slime in 2 of the tires.

When I worked at Sears, if we had a tire where we knew there was sealant in there we were supposed to inflate and deflate the tire I think 4 times to help vent fumes. Then we were to have rags ready by the tire machine to clean up the inevitable mess. Now this was when TMPS was still not super common, 2005-2007, so we didn't worry about that much. As techs, we would shame people who didn't give us a heads up that there was slime in a tire because we had to clean up the mess and breathe in that stuff.

Back in the day, some fix a flat in a can products used flammable propellants. That's no longer the case but there are other reasons it's not good to leave in there long term. One being being the moisture can ruin your TPMS sensor. Another issue is that the leak is prone to return unless it's patched properly, tempting consumers to put additional cans of the stuff in.

Tire guys don't like it because it's messy and they have to take extra time to clean the tire, the rim and their equipment.
It's almost impossible to get a patch or plug to seal once someone has put that stuff in there, even if you clean it out as good as you can.

Of course they frown on it, why wouldn't they?

I mean sure, they'd rather you be able to GET to them so they can earn a living from your patronage but all else equal, who would rather deal with a mess than not have to?

If you have a spare tire, they'd much rather have to take that off and put it in your caboose than have a sealant in the tire on the axle instead.

Spoken like someone who hasn't ever worked on tires, good to know.

Probably the same lazy person who expects a tech to dig through their trash-infested car for a wheel lock. Get over yourself.
🤣 take a xanax princess! imma go get a latte from starbucks while u fix that tire MMMKAY???!!!!

Last edited:
Back