Do Purolator clone filters have tearing issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reason I ask is because I use Performax filters on my vehicles because I get them for free at work. Performax, Pennzoil, and Quaker State oil filters are all SOPUS products and apparently are made differently than a regular Puro Classic with a synthetic blend media instead of a microfiber or whatever media is standard on the Classic that has all the tearing issues. I haven't been able to cut one of my used ones open just yet, it only has 4k miles on it though and I don't drive very hard so can't imagine it tearing but I guess we'll see when I get around to finding a filter cutter.
Does anyone have any input or info about these? I've seen a few cut and posted and all seemed to be intact with no tears. But, if there is a big risk I'd rather not use them and turn to using WIX. Haven't ever heard of WIX having problems. Purolators used to be top of the line, but I guess they got too big and cheapened up their product like a lot of manufactures do. It's amazing what the almighty dollar can do to have an effect on quality!

Yeah, "Made for Purolator" filters DO tear. Look at the hundreds I have cut and posted and you shall see
smile.gif

Yes, they tear. Plenty of private label jobber Purolators have torn. There are also a few torn Motorcrafts. Bosch premium is a reboxed P1, and they tear too.

The Boss doesn't suffer from torn media, but the ADBV often tears on them.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

In fairness, we've only seen one example of the above issue, so I am unsure if we can conclude this is the norm for a Boss.

Yes, they tear. Plenty of private label jobber Purolators have torn. There are also a few torn Motorcrafts. Bosch premium is a reboxed P1, and they tear too.

I thought Bosch was made by Champ Labs, must've changed hands recently.

Originally Posted By: sir1900

In fairness, we've only seen one example of the above issue, so I am unsure if we can conclude this is the norm for a Boss.

There are many Puro filters with cut ADBVS. The Boss just shows the same shoddy manufacturing as the others.

I understand you get these filters for free but do you also get engines for free? Personally i would not use them.. Filters have one job and thats filtering your oil and when a filter tears or otherwise fails its like flunking out of first grade!

Having a torn filter at the least will not filter out harmful dirt and grit and can put extra wear on the engine/bearings.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Originally Posted By: sir1900

There are many Puro filters with cut ADBVS. The Boss just shows the same shoddy manufacturing as the others.

Shoddy manufacturing at a top tier price.

Folks here love them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back