Do portable air compressors need water separators?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought this Husky portable air compressor: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-33-gal-Quiet-Portable-Electric-Air-Compressor-C331H/203995169

Do I need to add in a water separator after the tank, but before the connected air tool(s)? I put a few drops of oil in every air tool before use. This is the first portable unit I've owned, and it doesn't seem set up for a water separator like the stationary models I've seen. This will be used infrequently, and the tank will be drained after each use. Thanks!
smile.gif

I just drain mine after every use. If however; you are going to use it for painting, it should have a water separator IMO, but, others will add here. Ed

A water separator is almost mandatory. Moisture is the last thing you need in your air tools or tires.
When you shut the compressor off you don't need to drain it but cracking the drain the next day is a enough to remove any condensed water on the bottom of the tank.
Replacing the drain screw with a small ball valve and elbow of necessary makes life much easier.

Originally Posted By: Trav
A water separator is almost mandatory. Moisture is the last thing you need in your air tools or tires.
When you shut the compressor off you don't need to drain it but cracking the drain the next day is a enough to remove any condensed water on the bottom of the tank.
Replacing the drain screw with a small ball valve and elbow of necessary makes life much easier.

The instructions say to fully drain the tank at least once a day, but says nothing about moisture beyond what is drained from the tank daily. This unit has two quick disconnects built into the unit. I could run two hoses and two tools for convenience if I wished. But how would I mount the water separator for one or both quick disconnects (not enough clearance to put a male fitting into the separator to mount directly to the unit's quick disconnect)? Would I have to mount the separator to the wall and run the hose to that point before the tool(s)? Wouldn't that defeat the portability of the compressor?!?

Here are a couple of pics:

Go buy the $20 compressor drain that's down the aisle from it. It's a great accessory for draining the tank.

I'd run an air separator somewhere nearby the tank. That does tie the compressor down a bit. A 33 gallon compressor uses "portable" in that it's more portable than a 60 gallon unit, though!

I have a 30 gallon oiled compressor that's a repainted version of the 30 gallon oiled unit that's next to that 33 gallon oilless. It's portable for moving around the garage, and that's it.

Last edited:
After some more research, it looks like the most significant purpose for a water separator is painting (where water in the system can ruin paint jobs). For the average non-painting homeowner who drains the tank daily and oils their tools before every use, the benefit of the separator is relatively small.

Draining the tank every night is putting more wear on the compressor than necessary and can generate a lot more moisture than letting it sit overnight and just bleeding off the water from that has settled on the bottom.

If you feel the tank after the compressor stops filling it it will be warm, this warm air is moisture laden, depending on the humidity it can be significant. When you fill a tire with this air you it will separate just like it does in the compressor tank and because the air is warm it the tire can loose a couple of PSI once it cools, ideally you want cool dry air for tire filling.

You could very easily remove one of the quick connects and replace it with a short piece of brass pipe and add a small water separator right on the machine with the QC on the separator.

Mainly about intended usage and common sense.

Portable compressor used for airing up tires, use with air tools a couple times per month, loosen the drain valve every couple of weeks and be happy. If you are running more volume through it, grab a simple moisture separator. I have one on my compressor and probably have drained out maybe 8 ounces over its 20 year life. I crack the tank drain every once in awhile, and that's it as far as maintenance. Painting, a moisture separator and a dessicant dryer are a good idea. Paint is expensive.

Common sense really applies to a permanent air line/distribution setup. Never run air outlets/quick connects at a low point. Low points should always have a drain. Main lines should always slope down towards a drain.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I hope its an "oiled" compressor!

No, it's an oil-free unit. I considered the oiled unit, but here's my thesis as to why I bought the oil-free compressor.

The cost of the 33 gallon Husky oil-free compressor was $269. The oiled "sister" compressor sitting right next to it was $399. That's a spread of $130, or about half the cost of the oil-free unit.

A little research into the expected life of each unit yielded about 500 machine hours on the oil-free and about 1000 hours on the oiled, so while the life expectancy of the oiled is twice as long, for relatively light home use, I may never hit 500 hours with the oil-free compressor. And I'll have no maintenance on the oil-free unit (which is also lighter to move around). If it does fail in 5-10 years (it has a 2 year warranty), then the $130 I saved is still there to pay for half of a new unit to get another 5-10 years of service.

I owned a stationary Craftsman oil-free unit that is still working where it was mounted over 20 years ago, and a small oil-free "pancake" compressor that I still use. I've had good luck with them thus far (knock on wood).

Anyway, time will tell how long this one lasts. But on a unit that is relatively inexpensive, I'm less concerned with oil vs oil-free so long as I can get a reasonable, hassle-free life out of the compressor.

Originally Posted By: SwedishRider
After some more research, it looks like the most significant purpose for a water separator is painting (where water in the system can ruin paint jobs). For the average non-painting homeowner who drains the tank daily and oils their tools before every use, the benefit of the separator is relatively small.

You figured it out on your own. Don't worry about water in your air unless you're painting. Your air tools will be fine. I have a couple of Ingersoll Rand tools that have been used for many years with no water separator or desiccant to remove moisture. Using them on humid summer days in Maryland, sometimes little drops of water will spit out of the exhaust. No bid deal! After each use I put one or two drops of oil in each tool's air inlet and store them so the oil creeps down towards the motor.

No, it's an oil-free unit. I considered the oiled unit, but here's my thesis as to why I bought the oil-free compressor.

The cost of the 33 gallon Husky oil-free compressor was $269. The oiled "sister" compressor sitting right next to it was $399. That's a spread of $130, or about half the cost of the oil-free unit.

A little research into the expected life of each unit yielded about 500 machine hours on the oil-free and about 1000 hours on the oiled, so while the life expectancy of the oiled is twice as long, for relatively light home use, I may never hit 500 hours with the oil-free compressor. And I'll have no maintenance on the oil-free unit (which is also lighter to move around). If it does fail in 5-10 years (it has a 2 year warranty), then the $130 I saved is still there to pay for half of a new unit to get another 5-10 years of service.

I owned a stationary Craftsman oil-free unit that is still working where it was mounted over 20 years ago, and a small oil-free "pancake" compressor that I still use. I've had good luck with them thus far (knock on wood).

Anyway, time will tell how long this one lasts. But on a unit that is relatively inexpensive, I'm less concerned with oil vs oil-free so long as I can get a reasonable, hassle-free life out of the compressor.
The durability for homeowner use it probably OK. The problem with oil less is that they're loud as a machine gun. My brother has one he's been hoping would break for 6-7 years now so he can buy one that doesn't rattle your teeth.

Originally Posted By: hatt

The durability for homeowner use it probably OK. The problem with oil less is that they're loud as a machine gun. My brother has one he's been hoping would break for 6-7 years now so he can buy one that doesn't rattle your teeth.

This is the reason I will never own another oil-free compressor. The high pitched, high frequency sound of an oil-free grates on my nerves, and I find myself looking forward to the moment it shuts off. However, I am totally at ease with the sound of an oiled compressor. It could run on and never bother me.

Depends on what you are using it for.

The only time I use a water filter is when I spray paint. I oil my air tools regularly and just never have problems. My compressor is 80 gallons, and it seems to introduce less water (like none) than my previous 20 gallon compressor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back