Do people in other countries have high milage cars?

Old yes. High mileage - probably not, people live closer to stuff and don't have the road infrastructure we do. Hard miles, yes.

I look at used cars in other countries. Find it interesting. Here is a 1988 Tercel in Costa Rica, 280,000km so roughly 170K miles. $1600 USD.

With some of the things happening recently....I'm not as 'proud' as I used to be.

I think I read that Japan also has laws against older vehicles. That's probably has something to do with the availability of low mileage JDM engines here.
I don't think Japan actually has such laws but the super tough, and very expensive, vehicle inspections force ppl to buy new. They almost take a car apart for the inspection. I believe this is a reason why Japanese cars are reliable. Engineers get to see problems early and see what the reliabity issues are before a new, to the US, model is released. Need to inspect a new car after 3 years and then every two. After 10 y, every year. Each inspection is about $270 plus 10% tax of car value each year. Yes, America is the best

Last edited:
Yep-in Utah safety inspections were done away with and now you see so many unsafe vehicles on the road. Not a high average income here-and now with decent tires costing a better part of $1,000.00/set drivers push tires until they "pop" practically.

America....
personal responsibility......

In some European countries, there are strict laws against having a vehicle to old, like in Germany.

Another reason I am proud to be an American!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
No such law in Germany however rust is an issue. Would you want a salt car from upstate NY coming up behind you at 100 mph on the highway?

When in Vienna I watched the police impound a salt car parked on the street. The owner was not happy as one of the offers took his pen and pushed it through the rust on the frame.

I was amazed by how many older cars I saw in Mexico, and by how few I saw (IE, almost none) in western Europe.

• Love
Reactions: D60
Here i Norway taxis reach 200 000 miles with ease in few years and there are plenty of cars that have done 200k or more for sale.
There are over 900 vehicles for sale with 200k miles or more at Norways biggest online trading site. For a small country that is quite large number.

Absolutely untrue. As long as it can pass inspection you can have a car any age, the tax on old cars may be higher but there is nothing limiting the age. A friend of mine has a beautiful 1958 MB 220 S Ponton convertible that he drives occasionally, it passes inspection with no problem and does not have old timer H plates although it could.
Had a driver in the EU - his E200 had 1.2m Km (Mobil 1 0W40) …

People who immigrate to Canada and the USA are totally amazed at the good vehicles that make it to the self serve recycling yards in the USA. Imagine throwing out the whole vehicle because the transmission has a problem!

EU members, if you need another reason to keep up on maintenance to keep them running:

Because it’s definitely more green to throw out what you have and build something new.

They will all be back to walking everywhere soon.

I think the US would have the most percentage of people doing very long commutes by car as cheap gas and lots of roads allows for single person car commuting to even quite low paying jobs. This isn't the case in most countries.
In southern ontario I see only a few cars with 200k miles for sale but not that often, and after 200k km or 8-10 years seems to be a more popular mileage to unload a car before the rust becomes a big problem.

EU members, if you need another reason to keep up on maintenance to keep them running:

I read the linked article and found it a little scary. There are those both here and in Europe who have a need to keep that old machine running since that's what they can afford. Unlike our country, in most of their urban areas, which tend to be quite dense, you could get along quite nicely without a car, but what about those who live in the countryside? OTOH, enforcement might be difficult. After all, who can prevent me from swapping a running used engine into my old banger in the privacy of my own barn?
There is plenty of relative poverty in Europe just as there is here.

The United States tends to have higher mileage on average due to our large and open road system. Few other places have such a network of roads with high speeds and long distances allowing us to daily live further from work.

I commute two weeks per month with 50 miles in 50 mins way. My wife does 35 miles in 40 mins each way 3 days/week.

Anything rusted to the point should be taken off the road but really this is a “ let them eat cake” attitude by the people in power. This whole issue will really come to bear as 2035 approaches.

Because it’s definitely more green to throw out what you have and build something new.

They will all be back to walking everywhere soon.

They're already trying to make/force people walk where I live. They've just changed 96% of our 30mph roads to 20mph to make driving as miserable as possible and to make people "consider other options". Except our public transport is nigh on non-existent and local bus companies have actually had to reduce their services as a result of these new 20mph limits. Where public transport does exist it's terribly unreliable. They've reduced our motorway down to 50mph to 'reduce emissions'. They've totally banned investments in roads full stop including brand new roads and upgrading existing roads. They also have plans to introduce road pricing schemes throughout Wales.

It's so nice to leave Wales and get into England and drive like a human being. Luckily a good 60% of my journeys involve going to England.

Last edited:
Common in the Middle East, I've seen a few taxis that entered service brand new with over 1,000,000 kilometers (625,000 miles) on them still in service. Used to be a common sight with Caprice Classics and Crown Victorias back in the day, now it's mostly Camry's.

Back