Do Mazda OEM oil filters have a bypass valve

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a used 1.6L Protege and the aftermarket filter that was on it had a bypass. The Purolator replacement I used (used the catalog in store) had no bypass that was apparent.

Does anyone know if the OEM filters have a bypass for this engine?

I can't directly answer your question ..but if you can get an aftermarket filter with or without a bypass valve (depending on who you're buying it from), then you have to have a bypass mechanism employed in your engine block. The presense of a bypass valve in the filter is just to allow its use on other applications that don't (fewer part numbers for an otherwise equal filter) have this feature.

The WIX for your engine (it would help if you kinda mentioned the year in your post
smile.gif
) has a bypass valve. If you list the filter that you're in question of, someone here may either know that it does or doesn't have a bypass valve(it would help if you kinda mentioned the filter #/make in your post
smile.gif
)
grin.gif

The Baldwin and Donaldson equivalents of the Wix all have bypass valves (which they should since they're a x-ref'd number) and all mention Ford/Mazda as primary applications.

Whose filter do you have? It may have a clicker type which isn't necessarily apparent. Since you asked about "OEM" ..what's the part #??

It's a '99 Protege. I don't recall the Purolator number, but the Supertech and Fram was 6607. The Fram had no bypass, but the supertech did, if I recall correctly.

It was the first change on this vehicle, so I got interested when I noticed the difference.

The Donaldson P502057 doesn't list a bypass rating ..but the Wix xref'd does. The Donaldson says Mazda as it's application (this is not the xref for a 6607 but is the same size, thread, and gasket diameter).

Here's the PH6607 xref'd to WIX

Part Number: 51365
UPC Number: 765809513655
Principal Application: Ford (92-97), Honda (00-05), Infiniti/Nissan (95-05), Mazda (97-05), Mercury (91-96), Subaru (88-05), Kia (94-05), Yanmar, John Deere, Kawasaki, Kobelco
All Applications
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow
Media: Paper
Height: 2.577
Outer Diameter Top: 2.685
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 20X1.5 MM
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 8-11
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes

Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
Attached 2.475 2.173 0.233

P502057 (donaldson w/o bypass) x'ref'd to WIX
Part Number: 51357
UPC Number: 765809513570
Principal Application: Ford Probe (89-97), Mazda Cars & Trucks (83-96), Kia Sportage (95-02)
All Applications
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow
Media: Paper
Height: 3.402
Outer Diameter Top: 2.685
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 20X1.5 MM
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 8
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes

Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
Attached 2.475 2.173 0.233

This filter appears to be a little longer and has a lower bypass setting. I don't think that your engine has a built in bypass valve ...so I'd be careful in selection. The only risk that you take (in the opinions of a few) is potential damage to the media if it gets too clogged up.

Now I'm even more curious. Any Protege (1.6L) owners here use OEM filters and recall looking into the center tube for an obvious bypass?

When I switched from Champion, shortly after the clicker was introduced, to Purolator for my I-4 Accord, one of the main reasons was for the obvious spring based bypass.

If I get no Protege owners responces, I guess I'll have to make a run to a local Mazda dealer.

my 2.0l protege has a bypass. i think mazda only uses 2 different filters for most of thier applications. a taller filter for v-6s and a shorter filter for 4 cyls. they are considered interchangeable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back