Do manufacturers restock parts for older vehicles?

Ford is said to be bad for discontinuing parts. Unfortunately, the parts are often the obscure stuff that's dealer-only.

A friend had the accelerator cable break on a c. 8-year-old Windstar. The part was not available from the dealer or aftermarket. Unfortunately, the local wreckers cut the cables when pulling the engines, so there were no used ones available. He had it welded, which held until they got rid of the van.

There was a CBC Marketplace story about a fairly new F-150, four or five years old and off warranty, where a piece of the HVAC system failed. The truck had no heat, and the part was not available anywhere. After the bad publicity, Ford relented and did a short production run.

I was always able to get parts for our old Mazdas - no problem getting parts for our '97 MPV as late as 2018.

Yep some of the parts I've been getting lately for the old Accord are coming from here (through a dealer).

Its 100% dependant on volume and the manufacturer of the actual part. I presume something like a motor mount can be made on a current production line with fairly little effort, so the producer of that would be willing to make more with some minimum order qty. The OEM's automated inventory management system would determine based on demand whether it was worth ordering more.

So yes, if there is demand they will re-order / restock. However I am sure some OEM's are more willing to stock old parts than others. The Japanese OEM's generally seem to be the best at keeping parts, although based on price toyota seems to feel theirs are gold plated.

I had a bad time with the 700R4 TV cables over the years- finally had a custom made as I judged the cost reasonable and it has lasted. Cable stretch and steel cable wearing plastic jacket issue.

Pretty sure OEMs or their direct suppliers aren't making spare parts after "x" of years (I've read 10 years is typical). Having an inventory of built-up stock is a different story though. You often see pictures of a "new" OEM part in a dust-covered box because it's been sitting untouched in a warehouse for a decade !

This is where the aftermarket manufacturers come in (and before) in producing those spare parts.

Last edited:
I wonder if a newer car uses a mount that coincidentally has the same part number, after all, they still have the tooling and testing.

My Saturn had the same rear brakes as some 1974 Buick, surprised me too.
Do you mean the same, physical part or as in they re-used a part # ?

I got lucky that there was a dealer with the OEM passenger side manifold in stock for my truck. The Dorman manifolds are terrible and kept blowing out after 3 months. I am now two, almost three years into this OEM manifold!

I know the aftermarket engine mounts that I used on my 92 Cavalier and my fiancé's 94 Cavalier are pure junk. I installed them in 2020 on both cars and since she drives Her's to work 60 miles a day has had to have a new front one installed last year because it had already collapsed. I have not checked the rear mount but I'm sure it's the same. I'm not even going to bother with mine. The mounting holes don't line up correctly, so you have to use a thin pry bar to even get the bolts started.

My solution for motor or transmission mounts that are unobtanium is going to be masking tape (to keep it from flowing out) and 2-part polyurethane.

Years ago I heard about people using windshield polyurethane to accomplish the same thing, but 2-part cures a lot faster and is pourable.

Back