Do manufacturers restock parts for older vehicles?

I thought my old Toyota Previa might be due to the scrapyard soon because OEM engine and tran mounts were no longer available. I had checked numerous websites years ago, but there were no OEM mounts for sale then. While the vibrations now are tolerable, I bet the old OEM mounts on there now would be better than cheap aftermarket mounts. Today I was perusing engine mounts, and I came across OEM engine mounts for sale. I was amazed. Was this a restock from Toyota for a car 30 years old or did I just miss that they were available from the first place? In fact, many parts I thought were discontinued are listed on a Toyota parts website with the correct part numbers. Do manufacturers ever restock parts for older cars?

I thought my old Toyota Previa might be due to the scrapyard soon because OEM engine and tran mounts were no longer available. I had checked numerous websites years ago, but there were no OEM mounts for sale then. While the vibrations now are tolerable, I bet the old OEM mounts on there now would be better than cheap aftermarket mounts. Today I was perusing engine mounts, and I came across OEM engine mounts for sale. I was amazed. Was this a restock from Toyota for a car 30 years old or did I just miss that they were available from the first place? In fact, many parts I thought were discontinued are listed on a Toyota parts website with the correct part numbers. Do manufacturers ever restock parts for older cars?

If there's sufficient demand then I'd say yes.. I just put a Motorcraft fuel tank selector valve on my 88 F-150 that wasn't old stock.

You'd scrap a car rather than use aftermarket mounts??

Yes, I've heard aftermarket mounts are just garbage. last a year or two before going bad. It's an old car worth maybe 2 grand anyways.

If there's sufficient demand then I'd say yes.. I just put a Motorcraft fuel tank selector valve on my 88 F-150 that wasn't old stock.

You'd scrap a car rather than use aftermarket mounts??
BMW Classic and Mercedes-Benz Classic routinely stock and manufacture parts for older cars. From 2008-2015 I often was able to order parts for my 1975 2002 from my local dealer.

It's a tremendous help for us with old cars who's OEM parts haven't been manufactured for decades.
Also, NORS (New Old Replacement Stock) for aftermarket parts which were once quality alternatives to OEM.

I always wondered if parts were remanufactured based the age of a vehicle. Maybe a 10 year old car shouldn’t need mounts so they are not available but a 20 year old car will probably be due so the manufacturer starts to manufacture for there 20 yo vehicles. I do seem to notice at least with sheet metal patch panels you often find they will start to manufacture them for older vehicles as that’s where the buyers are who want to keep something on the road.

I use these search "engines" with limited success.

I had limited success finding NOS parts for the Legend thru Rear Counter. I was contemplating swapping the oil filter adapter from cartridge to spin-on (decided to keep the cartridge) and located NOS parts. Luckily, the Legend shares a lot of parts with the Sterling 825.

No confirmation, but I heard through the grapevine that Sterlings used some form of British standard threads and not metric.

From my experience in the Automotive metal stamping industy, anytime the original customer wanted a service order the price was usually 10 to 20 times the old production price because the quantity they needed was 100 times smaller than we used to ship.
They'd scream at us, but we actually never made money on these service orders.

One exception was the very complex deep drawn air suspension stampings that we sold for M class MB SUV's, these were so unreliable they over-ran production past the original MB production by 2 years and stored the parts for the dealers to have access without delay.

In general the OEM's don't want to stock anything that is no longer needed and especially if it is bulky or high value with low inventory turns.

I have a 10 year old Chrysler 300C and there are many parts they do not make for it anymore. I could name several parts including the rear suspension sub frame, the remote start antenna, the foam cushion for the driver seat bottom etc (all of which are unavailable aftermarket). It's going to get worse very quickly in my opinion, carmakers make money selling cars more so than sourcing and stocking parts.

If it's one of those OEM part websites run by a dealer, they might not really be in stock. Most of the time you don't know if they have the part until you place an order.

Yes, I've heard aftermarket mounts are just garbage. last a year or two before going bad. It's an old car worth maybe 2 grand anyways.
If the mounts are easy enough to change out, go aftermarket. I've used cheap aftermarket mounts with success before (although I am guessing that is application specific).

Back