Do I want a 2009 Avalon with 202k on it?

Because I'm on the Craiglist again, what with Project Milan being declared uneconomical to repair & totalled
This is the second car I've done up for my sister in 2 years, and I'm back to square one AGAIN 😭
At this point, I don't think she needs something as nice, with the handcrafted details and effort that I put into her last two vehicles
I'm considering just giving her my daily driver Camry, and finding something that's a slight upgrade for me
I found a 2009 Avalon Limited with 202,000 on it, he wants $4,450
Second owner (10+ years), religiously serviced at a Prestige Toyota dealer in a more well to do part of NJ
No rust, both keys, WeatherTech floor liners, mint looking interior (driver obviously much thinner than myself)
Notes from the ad include
sedan
Toyota AVALON - Limited 2009
Good Condition, No rust, Strong Motor
2nd Owner, Garage Kept - Mostly highway mileage (NJ to RI and Washington DC for 10yrs)
Color matching Weather Tech mats- front & rear. Original carpet mats are in like-new condition in the trunk.
New Battery 11/2020 w/3year warranty good through 11/2023
Two new front tires at 187K mi. 7/2021
Two new rear tires 6/2019
Front Brakes (pads & rotors) 5/2021
Rear Struts replaced 8/2019
02 Sensors Left/Right after CAT replaced 1/2019
For a northeast car, it looks a million dollars (blue with grey leather), most likely garage kept
It's religiously passed NJ emissions, so it should pass NY emissions as well
It'd be a major upgrade over my beloved 2006 Camry, what with heated and cooled seats, memory, side airbags 🥰
The only notable issues are an oil drip, and the moonroof doesn't open
I'm not a vain person, but it's a far better looking car than I've ever owned (all of my cars have had paint issues)
Maybe I could talk him down a handfull of hundreds, but the history is clean, it looks clean, it's lived in and been serviced in a slightly higher income bracket zip code
I could see myself enjoying it, after all the blood, sweat, tears, and money I've lost with previous cars
It's got a 6 speed U660E, and a 2GR V6
So other than coils, ATF drain and fill, and preemptively replacing the rubber VVT line, it should be reasonably durable?
I could fix the sunroof and valve cover gaskets, that's not out of my realm
The guy just emailed me back, I'm probably gonna set up an appointment to look at it
What say you?
You've all seen how I can prepare/maintain a car
See:
Project Milan
Project xB²
Daily driver Camry
Late daily driver Taurus
It'd be nice to look/feel the way one should after putting time and money into a car

Sounds like a good well maintained car. I would at least test drive it and buy it if you like.
The price is not bad in this high priced time.

I personally not afraid of high mileage well maintained Toyota.
The V6 engines are very good.

I'm somewhat familiar with the platform, remember I worked on a friend's neglected 2011
I don't think it'd be any worse on the gas than my V6 Camry, and the 2GR doesn't need premium 💰

Reactions: JC1
One of my favourite cars. One of my former neighbours has one. I always said I wanted first dibs if he ever sold it.

I think the only problem he ever had was with the driver's seat and that was when it was brand new. After a few attempts to repair it, the dealer just replaced it. I think that's about it.

I found a 2009 Avalon Limited with 202,000 on it, he wants $4,450

I wouldn't pay anywhere near that amount for that vehicle.
Understood.
Do you recommend I pay $8k for another 2010 Milan, that's rustier and higher mileage?
I got a bargain @ $2,150
Under normal conditions I would agree, but market conditions have thrown most of the rules out the window

You couldn't buy a clean good running Avalon for $2000 two years ago, 2009 or 1999. Market has little to do with it. It mainly affects late model cars. People shopping for new cars may step down to a 2 or 3 year old used one, but not a 2009 so that it drives their prices up much.

I've heard
Water pump and belt drive/alternator can be done with some finessing, but anything more major is an engine out job
Noted.
Alternator and WP aren't too bad. Valve covers kinda suck because of the VVT oil lines.

2009 era was also when timing cover leaks and VVT gears were kinda an issue. Though, if it has made it this far, the VVT gears are probably fine.

You couldn't buy a clean good running Avalon for $2000 two years ago, 2009 or 1999. Market has little to do with it. It mainly affects late model cars. People shopping for new cars may step down to a 2 or 3 year old used one, but not a 2009 so that it drives their prices up much.
The rapid escalation of prices in the "beater market" and the examples provided on this forum the last 18 months or so would prove this statement incorrect. Our local FB page has almost daily posts about people literally begging for sub $5,000.00 vehicles for students and housewifes who just need to run to the market or have backup transportation for an emergency. These cars are almost impossible to come by.

You flip cars...you should know this.

I do and I do. Plenty of cheap joints out there.

I do and I do. Plenty of cheap joints out there.

Go look at them and see if they run and get back to us. All the cars you buy -most need to major dollars to makes them safe-front end parts,etc. This work is expensive when you need to take them in to be done.

Last edited:
Back