Do I need moly???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am currently using 3 different kinds of grease...I am looking to consolidate to a single type of grease for all applications.

I need a grease for the following purposes:

- chassis/u-joint lube
- marine wheel bearings
- disc brake wheel bearings

Should I choose a lithium moly grease or would a marine grease be a good choice too? AND IS IT BEST TO USE A GREASE W/ MOLY?

Last edited:
-chassis/u-joint lube: NLGI-II with moly in it is good
-marine wheel bearings (if submersed into water), use lithium-based marine grease (doesn't really matter whether it's moly based or not) that resists washout...
-disc brake wheel bearings (ordinary high temp capable NLGI-II based grease commonly found on auto parts stores).

Bottomline: except application 2, all others can share the same kind of lube so long as it meets the applications.

Me? I have all kinds of lubes in my garage, incl Shell (high moly) grease. But to me I don't see much of a difference on all the vehicles I've applied such grease when compared to non-moly based NLGI-II based grease (ordinary yellow bearing grease)...even on 4WDs I serviced before.

So, why dwell on the subject of Moly?

Last edited:
Well I appreciate it...I just kinda want to standardize on one grease, but looks like I may have to continue to use 2 types. I kinda wanted to switch to Mystik cause it is now available at wal-mart but they do not cary the Mystik brand w/ moly there. I still have 2 tubes of sta-lube w/ moly but call me weird, but I like greases in different colors besides black/gray so I was hoping to standardize on a red or amber grease in both 14oz tube & a tub but that had some moly. If it is not as big of a deal, then mabe the Mystik High-temp JT-6 No2 would be a good choice?

doode!

Other than your choice for the marine grease (to resist washout), both application 1 and 3 can be handled very nicely by staying with Mystik Hi Temp No2 grease and you are done.

I must say though I have have fairly limited experiences on marine grease (used it before but not really into it so I cannot tell which brand is better).

Good luck on your search.

Q.

p.s. Good ole Henry Ford sez (founder of FoMoCo): "you can have any colour you want so long it's black..." (*smiles*)

Well I guess my next question would be: Is there a situation/application where you would not want to use a grease with moly???

To get maximum life out of your equipment you should use specific grease just like your doing. They all have a different chemical makeup for each application.

Originally Posted By: FastSUV
Well I guess my next question would be: Is there a situation/application where you would not want to use a grease with moly???

Hi!

I use Moly grease in 2 main types of applications: (a)when I repack CVs using whatever comes with the boot package (I use EMPI boot kit most of the time), and over 95% of the time the boot kit comes with CV grease with moly inside, and (b) Shell NLGI-II bearing grease with high moly inside for my wifey's old 4runner u-joint lube.

All other applications, I use regular NLGI-2 wheel bearing grease.

Q.

Well as of now this is what I use:

- chassis/u-joint lube ------ Sta-lube moly-graphite (black)
- marine wheel bearings ------ Supertech marine (tan)
- disc brake wheel bearings ------- Mystik hi-temp JT-6 No2 (Red)

Originally Posted By: Warstud
BTW: I would be using the bearing grease on the u-joints.

well the sta-lube moly grease is approved for u-joints too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back