Do I need iron supplement or no?

You have to ask a whole bunch of oil nerds instead of trusting your doctor, :p
May be there is similarities between blood and oil. :unsure:
Oil is the life blood of the engine. It is exactly the same but different.

Was the anemia diagnosis confirmed by a doctor? There are other reasons your iron is low so it’s good to have that checked out.
Good thought.

My low hemoglobin turned up after a routine physical c. November 2006. My hemoglobin was 119. I went back for more bloodwork, to confirm it wasn't bad labwork. This time it was worse: 114.

Given my near-vegetarian diet and my regular blood donations, the doctor thought iron pills would be a good first step.

With iron supplementation, my hemoglobin bounced back quickly.

I had run a reasonably respectable leg of a marathon in mid-June of that year, and had done some intense hiking in the Rockies in July, but felt I had underperformed in both situations. I attributed it to getting older, but later figured I would have done much better with higher hemoglobin.

No problems since then. Cycled c. 110 km today and felt pretty good.

Good thought.

My low hemoglobin turned up after a routine physical c. November 2006. My hemoglobin was 119. I went back for more bloodwork, to confirm it wasn't bad labwork. This time it was worse: 114.

Given my near-vegetarian diet and my regular blood donations, the doctor thought iron pills would be a good first step.

With iron supplementation, my hemoglobin bounced back quickly.

I had run a reasonably respectable leg of a marathon in mid-June of that year, and had done some intense hiking in the Rockies in July, but felt I had underperformed in both situations. I attributed it to getting older, but later figured I would have done much better with higher hemoglobin.

No problems since then. Cycled c. 110 km today and felt pretty good.

Good to hear. Depending on age and your answers to questions the doctor might have had you do a Hemocult test. If that was positive then more examination is required.

Back