Do I need iron supplement or no?

Good Morning BITOGERS. The blood donation place asks you on questionnaire if you take iron supplements or multivitamin. I do take Vitamin D3 and multivitamin per my doctor. I have enjoyed iron rich foods like collard greens, kale, carrots and spinach my whole life. Am I dumb thinking I don’t need a iron supplement?

Thank You all in advance

I also know the only way they can truly see if your deficient on some things is by a hair strand test which is expensive.

Men need a lot less iron than women and it is easy for men to get too much iron. Talk to your doctor about this before starting a supplement.
From this years yearly exam, he just told me to take multivitamin and keep taking Vitamin D3

Women lose blood (and iron) on a periodic basis.

They'll literally give you your iron numbers via that pin-prick test. They do it before they take their pint to see if you'll have issues. My iron is good at around 15-16 units-of-whatever.

You can pick up dietary iron by cooking on a skillet.

Thanks for donating!

Women lose blood (and iron) on a periodic basis.

They'll literally give you your iron numbers via that pin-prick test. They do it before they take their pint to see if you'll have issues. My iron is good at around 15-16 units-of-whatever.

You can pick up dietary iron by cooking on a skillet.

Thanks for donating!
You are welcome eljefino. I do cook using cast iron also. My blood type is A+ so I’m ideal for platelets

Unless you have been instructed by your doctor to take iron I would not. Sounds like your diet is sufficient.

Iron has its own side effects as well, some are not pleasant.

I find most multivites are not effective, good or even worthless - until I found GNC Mega Men Daily.
I find I only require a 1/2 a tablet every other day.

I am sure there are others that are good, but, I am not a fan of centrum or 1 one a day or natures bounty

CAUTION: Men generally don't need or want iron suppliments. Consult with a naturopathic nutritionist.

I have a story about my brother and his friend. They used to golf weekly and were very competitve. One Saturday my brother was just crushing his drives. His friend was like wow, what's changed. My brother said my Doctor had done a blood test and I was low on iron, so I now take a supplement. About a month later, his friend is complaining of all sorts of ailments (joint pain, fatigue etc). Goes to his Doctor. Come to find out he had been adding iron to his diet to the point he had TOO much iron. Moral of the story, you can have too much iron in your diet as well.

if anything MEN have too much iron!!! at blood donations your iron STORES are NOT measured + its noted most iron in your BODY is hard to measure + $$$ as well. recently seen a vid from Morley Robbins about iron + the need for COPPER with it. there are several vids + the long one i watched was with Dr Mercola as i believe he has a lot of good true info, check it out + decide for yourself!!

Canadian Blood Services tests my hemoglobin before every blood donation. They used to use a float (fail) or sink (pass) test, but it was not very precise - I found out I was anemic after routine bloodwork turned up my low iron levels, in spite of passing the test shortly before.

That was in late 2006 - I've taken iron ever since, for at least a month after each donation. Canadian Blood Services moved to a more precise test a few years ago. My hemoglobin remains in the proper range (140 - 180 g/l), but I have to take iron pills to keep it there.

Screenshot_20221002-170135~2.jpg

Canadian Blood Services tests my hemoglobin before every blood donation. They used to use a float (fail) or sink (pass) test, but it was not very precise - I found out I was anemic after routine bloodwork turned up my low iron levels, in spite of passing the test shortly before.

That was in late 2006 - I've taken iron ever since, for at least a month after each donation. Canadian Blood Services moved to a more precise test a few years ago. My hemoglobin remains in the proper range (140 - 180 g/l), but I have to take iron pills to keep it there.

View attachment 119525

Was the anemia diagnosis confirmed by a doctor? There are other reasons your iron is low so it’s good to have that checked out.

Back