Do AWD subcompact & compact SUVs/Crossovers have a more robust undercarriage or suspension than their 2WD counterpoints?

Trying to justify considering AWD models, e.g. Subaru CrossTrek and Mazda CX-30 although I will likely never use AWD in the deep south.

No, avoid the complexity of AWD and go FWD.
Gross!

IMG_9740.jpeg

The only extra components would be related to the AWD system. Too expensive to design variations on a chassis. The only thing i could se would be simple bolt on bracing being added if needed to support the rear drive assembly.

As with nearly anything else in life, the correct answer is "it depends" ...

Regarding the two models you mention (Crosstek and CX-30), there are no substantial differences for the AWD model other than the additional components.

Some SUVs do "upgrade" a portion of the components, based on models. For example, the new Honda Pilot in it's Trailsport edition does have unique components for uprated durability/capacity of off-roading. (The "Savagegeese" YT channel did a nice review about a year ago and explained in detail the changes). Also, the Bronco definitely has different equipment packages based on the type of sub-model you buy. But these don't really fit the "sub-compact" description you mention.

Last edited:
There is little complexity to modern AWD. It’s rarely a trouble spot and should not be avoided for that reason. There is barely a mpg penalty for it. Typically 1 possibly 2 mpg if well designed.

I’d buy what is available easily and you like.

tell that to my stupid AWD Ford Edge and its failure prone components!

Yep. Transfer cases / PTUs are failure prone if you don't change oil in them and are a good $3-5K to replace. Then there's additional CV axles in the back, the rear differential, the clutch mechanism that turns 4x4 on/off, carrier bearings, slip joints, U-joints, etc..etc. The only "bargain" is buying them 4x4/AWD when new, when the option "only" adds ~$3K. You total these parts up afterwards and they're much more.

In terms of vehicle differences, @JoelB hit it. Bracketing would be about it. The front and rear subframes are typically the same. With the FWD only version, you'll be left with a big old space down the center of the vehicle with some bare mounting holes here and there.

If you want durable suspension with your awd family hauler get a gmt800 suburban. They even have 4x4 auto mode that won't bind up if you leave it on.
The transfer case will die on you eventually because the steel oil pump eats a hole in the magnesium case and then your gear oil goes bye-bye

Trying to justify considering AWD models, e.g. Subaru CrossTrek and Mazda CX-30 although I will likely never use AWD in the deep south.

no, and there's no correlation with size either. Case in point: Hyundau Santa Fe DM share the lower balljoint with the i30 (and likely accent) of the same generation. They fail on the heavier and higher santa fe, but not on the i30

Some awd versions of cars have different stories to compensate for the added weight but it's very model specific. I *think* the cx5's rear struts on the AWD are different than the fwd version.

Are there any vehicles you're looking at which offer either AWD or FWD versions? The two you've mentioned here do not.

Awd “suv” are really just cars anyway.

Some heavier trucks will have significantly different suspension designs in 2wd and 4WD forms, my two Dodge Ram CTD trucks for example.

But a car based suv is that.

Awd “suv” are really just cars anyway.

Some heavier trucks will have significantly different suspension designs in 2wd and 4WD forms, my two Dodge Ram CTD trucks for example.

But a car based suv is that.
SUVs no longer car based in modern vehicles. They happen to share platforms that are engineered for SUV and cars from the start. No maker out there is engineering car first as it’s not profitable.

Ford is clueless on AWD. Subaru is core part of vehicle and Mazda mentioned is not known to have issues with it.
IDK about all that. My 04 AWD 3.0 Escape would take exception to your comment. It really is a great snow vehicle, extremely stable. I have AT tires on it so maybe that helps.

In fairness, the PTUs will fail if they aren't maintained, they only hold 1 Qt of fluid and they sit beside the cat. I've changed the fluid in mine every 30K and have had zero drivetrain issues with the car.

SUVs no longer car based in modern vehicles. They happen to share platforms that are engineered for SUV and cars from the start. No maker out there is engineering car first as it’s not profitable.
Same difference. Though I’m not one of those people who push frame or nothing, they are not trucks.

My guess is no as this Mazda’s rear left was spinning off the ground last week.

I’d say if not needed, then like others said get FWD.

IMG_6387.jpeg

Back