DIY TPMS Replacement(Ford/Lincoln)

My MKZ has been bugging me for several months now to "service" the TPMS. I don't think the sensors have ever been changed-they certainly haven't in the time I've owned the car. Service use to pop up during especially cold weather and/or long trips in hot weather, but it's there for good now. It hasn't been a huge deal since the TPMS on this car isn't super useful-it just tells you if one is low but doesn't say which or how much-and I keep tire gauges in the car and use them regularly. Still, though, I want to fix it properly.

Yes, I've attempted to go through the relearn procedure, and do have a learn tool. I think the front left sensor for sure is completely dead as it will not respond at all when I put it in learn mode.

I've been looking into replacing these myself. Ideally I'd like to know which it was, but at the same time if they're all 12 years old, even if I change one it's probably a matter of time before all of them go.

First of all, as best as I can tell, a 2010 MKZ SHOULD have them at the base of the valve stem, but I've found a few also specifying that they're on a band opposite the stem(and yes, I've tried relearn at both positions). Of course I'll figure that out for sure before ordering sensors.

I've never done tire work, but ran across a how-to on Youtube that used a scissor jack and block of wood to break the bead just on the stem side, pull back the tire enough to access the sensor, then use soapy water/compressed air to reseal.

Any thoughts on DIY this way? Worst case I figure is if I can't get one to reseal, I could pay a tire shop to do it. Still, though, I'm wondering if I'm best to just let a shop do it in the first place, never mind that I doubt I'd get out of there for under $300...

I agree with michaelluscher, buy four Schrader sensors from Rockauto and install them. They're cheaper than the Autel or CGSulit universal sensors that I use so for $21.79 each it's a no brainer.

You'll buy the sensors already programmed for your year, make and model so once you install them you'll have to do a relearn procedure to write the new identification numbers to the body control module and also to identify the proper position on the vehicle. You will need to use your relearn tool that you bought and of course you'll have to put the vehicle into relearn mode. The method for this can be found on the internet or youtube.

You have a choice of buying either rubber or metal valve stems so if you live in the salt belt areas I'd buy rubber stems. If you live in a relatively clean environment then the metal stems would be appropriate. They're the same price on Rockauto so the choice is up to you.

And good luck with breaking the tire bead. Some vehicles can be a bear. Weigh your cost-to-effort value and see if it's not worth paying Walmart a few dollars to install them for you. I'd wager that it's harder than the youtube videos make it appear.

Keep us informed and welcome to the busted knuckle club! :)

I used the scissors jack and 2x4 trick on the Prius. Never again. Installed 4 new Denso(Pacific) sensors - I didn’t want to deal with programmable Chineseium sensors as most shops here use.

Costco uses Dill sensors sourced from Conti(probably the same as VDO Redi-Sensor), and America’s Tire offered VDO and HUF sensors. I’ll go that route or buy OE and have a mom & pop shop swap them out. OE is either Schrader(Sensata), Conti, Pacific, TRW or HUF on most cats.

Back