DIY Foundation Repair

Get a wireless RH sensor so you can monitor the crawl space RH from your kitchen. Seal up the vents and get a dehumidifier with a pump or drain hose. Vapor barrier on the dirt floor. Typically dehumidifiers for crawl spaces are higher capacity and more efficient than the normal dehumidifiers you find at Home depot. It may take several days to bring down the RH. You can get mold and wood decay if the RH gets into the 60% to 70% range. Try to get it to 45% to 50%.

I would pour concrete. Maybe you can find a handy neighbor to help

I’d like to see a 2” thick piece but 1” is better than the batt insulation. I guess we can just wait and see what colder temps bring. 80%RH is quite high. The dehumidifier won’t do much if there are vents to the outside as you found out and the outdoor humidity levels are high. You need to block those off and get a radon test done to see if you do in fact have high radon levels.

Got any tips for how to hold all 3 layers up tight to the metal on the ceiling of that chute?
I added a 1" thick piece to make it now close to 2" thick. I have some insulation supports holding it in place fairly well.
I guess it will be OK as is but I'd like to have something stronger holding it up there.

What do these insulation supports look like? Did you use those only or did you use Styrofoam board adhesive as well to get the pieces to stick to one another?

I would have glued the styrofoam right to the metal. Without pictures I'm guessing as to how this looks.

Last edited:
What do these insulation supports look like? Did you use those only or did you use Styrofoam board adhesive as well to get the pieces to stick to one another?
I would have glued the styrofoam right to the metal. Without pictures I'm guessing as to how this looks.

They look like spaghetti only made out of metal and 24" long. I used only these so far.
I considered using glue. I can always add glue later.
Does Lowe's have the products you mentioned?

As far as look is concerned, it doesn't matter. No one will ever see it besides me. You can't see it unless you're right under it.
I could leave it be right now and chances are it would be fine.

Back