DIY deep freezer gasket?

I've got an approx 30 year old Tappan deep freezer that's starting to accumulate heavy frost on the inside. The ice forms at the top, and gradually accumulates down the walls. I'm assuming the gasket is toast. I haven't found the exact gasket yet, but I'm assuming it's gonna be about $125-150. The freezer still works fine. Does anyone know of a cheaper solution to try like a universal gasket? I'm a little leary of throwing $150 at a 30 year old freezer. Ice is building up almost uniformly along the top edge where the gasket seats.
20220110_135239.jpg

Our freezer apparently started to accumulate frost inside the top because when we defrosted it a lot of water ran out of the top. At about the same time a puddle appeared under the freezer while in use. All very strange.

Our freezer is located in the garage where we have 2 cars (1 of which is the Tesla which is what we drive all the time now). So there is no hot engine to dry out the garage from time to time. And it's kind of damp out there anyway.

When it's rainy outside we now run a dehumidifier in the garage and there have been no more puddles.

I'm not sure I understand what's going on here, but a dehumidifier seems to have solved our problem.

I would not put 125-150 into a 30 year old freezer. What I have done to revunate an old gasket is clean it and allow it and the mating surface to dry. Then I apply a very thin layer of high vacuum silicon grease to the entire gasket.

I would not put 125-150 into a 30 year old freezer. What I have done to revunate an old gasket is clean it and allow it and the mating surface to dry. Then I apply a very thin layer of high vacuum silicon grease to the entire gasket.
I'd stick $150 into an old freezer before I would go out a buy a new one with the way stuff is built today!

I'd stick $150 into an old freezer before I would go out a buy a new one with the way stuff is built today!
Stuff is built alot cheaper, but it's built fine. As long as it isn't a Samsung refrigerator, even the new cheap deep freezes are good. We have 2 and my mom has 1, all cheapo freezers that are 5-8 years old.

Back