DIY alignment done right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I changed a bunch of front end parts (Rav 4 2003, 2.0L 4x4 automatic); including brake dust shields, bearings, hubs, rotors, brakes, ball joints, as well as outer tie rods.

I tried to stick to the original alignment as best as I could when installing the tie rod.
I did a DIY alignment using the string method.

On the left measured exactly:
rear wheel both sides of rim 2 inches (reference point for front)
front wheel both sides of rim 1.5 inches

On the right measured exactly:
rear wheel both sides of rim 2 inches (reference point for front)
front wheel both sides of rim 2 inches

The steering wheel is straight. Steering wheel doesn't vibrate. Drives in a straight line. Doesn't squeak.

One thing I did noticed is that the brakes kind of grind a little when turning and some random noise that comes and goes.
I'm not sure if this is the new brake dust shield that is catching the rotor a little bit.

Anyways, should I still do an alignment or am I fairly safe with this configuration?

Thank you

If you have nice tires I would do an alignment. If your tires are worn or old you could watch how they wear. I'd lean more towards getting an alignment.

Problem is, to get utmost from tire life, it winds up needing really precise measurements. I'd just spring the money for an alignment. If nothing else, the before and after print might validate your efforts: if you did good, then sleep well and do it again if you ever have to. But if they show that you were significantly off, well, so be it.

I did string alignments in the 90's when the alignment shop couldnt get my car correct. If the rack hasnt been calibrated and certified in the past couple months your alignment will be incorrect. Hunter laser. So no guarantees there.

I was paranoid after i did my last string job and brought it to the shop. Toes were all spot on. What I couldnt check is cross caster and camber. This car had a offset subframe and the cross camber was 1.5 degrees. +0.5 DS, -1.5 PS. Good for crown driving in the U.S. but pulled too hard on the interstate.

If its your car, just drive it and keep an eye on the inside and outside tire sipes for wear,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back