Distilled H20 from a dehumidifier?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RnR

I'm on the verge of doing a cleaning and DexCool re-fill on my 1999 Pontiac GrandPrix (183k). Is "distilled" H20 taken from a basement dehumidifier acceptable for use in making up the 50/50 DexCool mix? I would imagine there isn't much of an issue prior to the coolant replacement (i.e. for cleaning), but I have to wonder about supposed bacteria related issues when it comes to the DexCool.

Comments?

I've used dehumidifier water for years with out any issues. On the other hand I can buy distilled water from WM for ~ 75 cents per gallon.

I'm not sure the water from a dehumidifier is distilled, but as long as its clean you should be able to use it.

I don't think dehumidifier water is distilled. It's humidity that gathers on a cooled coil and drips into a collection pan. If you want to make your own battery and cooling system water, try a deionizer.

"Distillation is the process of heating a liquid until it boils, capturing and cooling the resultant hot vapors, and collecting the condensed vapors."

A dehumidifier removes water vapor from the air by condensing it on a cold coil. About the only thing missing from the process is the part about heating a liquid until it boils, but that's not necessary since there's always plenty of water vapor in the air.

See also:

http://www.desertusa.com/mag98/dec/stories/water.html

Describes making a solar water still.

It is distilled, but it's certainly not pure. There's a lot of other ---- in the air and on the coils that ends up in the water. True distilled water needs to be made in controlled conditions. Just cough up the $.79 at Wal-Mart.

Condensing is pretty much the exact same as distilling, just without the boiling at the beginning since the water is already vaporized.

There may be dust particles in the air, but there won't be any minerals (calcium/magnesium) floating around, which is the real concern in a cooling system. If you're worried about bacteria, you could boil the water before using it, but it'll get close to boiling while you're driving anyway so I doubt it'd help much.

So I vote it's fine to use. Though I admit spending a buck every few years for a gallon of 100% for-sure-OK water is perfectly sensible too.

Quote:

There may be dust particles in the air, but there won't be any minerals (calcium/magnesium) floating around

There will be IF someone was doing any drywall work in the area. But that would be an unusual case.

Do not use DI water in metal systems, there is a reason it is only piped via plastic piping. Distilled, fine to use, DI, not.

Pour it through a coffee filter
wink.gif

LOL

A coffee filter will take out the big chunks but it will still be far short of the quality of distilled water. Even if it was pure when it hit the evaporator core, it lost its purity very quickly due to contamination. Water pick up nearly everything, and does it very quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back