Dissapointed with QS Ultimate Durability

Status
Not open for further replies.
I needed some plastic storage bins yesterday so I went to Walmart and while I was there picked up 2 5qt jugs of QS Utimate Durability. It was the cheapest syn they had ($19) and I grabbed a couple.

I put them on my shelf home and noticed that the jugs are missing atleast 1/2 quart or more, if the hash marks on the new jugs are correct it is clearly below the 5qt mark, and considerably below.

My wifes car takes 4.5 quarts to fill and my truck takes 5.5 to fill so 2 5qt jugs works out nice since they give me exactly what I need. Now I will need to buy a quart or two to finish my OC's.

Maybe they do contain the correct amount and the markes are incorrect, either way what a hassle and dissapointment. I think the new PP bottles are the same design as the QS ones.

Either way I dont want to deal with the hassle of returning them. Check you bottles everyone and make sure they are full!

Last edited:
Are you sure you're looking at the 5 Qt. mark and not the
5 Liter mark ?
I always check the jugs at the store and make sure I'm getting full ones. Believe it or not they are all usually filled the same amount. I'd be surprised if BOTH jugs are underfilled.

Originally Posted By: pbm
5 Liter mark ?

Yes most definately It is the 5 qt mark I am looking at.

I never check to see they are full, It is something I just expect and assume it will be. I do check to make sure the caps havent been tampered with though.

I'd measure it out and see what you come up with. I would trust the space between those marks to be 1 qt but I would never trust their absolute positioning on the bottle itself.

Last edited:
I have noticed several times that the jugs can leak during transport and stocking and I have had to put many back after placing in cart due to leakage. Maybe that is what happened to them. The stock clerks would just have wiped them off and shelved them so it may not be QS fault. Just a thought.

I think you are right. I just checked a 5 qt. jug of QS UD and a 5 qt. jug of PP that have the identical new jug design and there is LESS oil in the QS UD. The level is approx. 1/2" less.

...maybe that's how they sell it for $19.....

I have noticed that if the jug is only slightly compressed, it can give the illusion of more oil than is present. The opposite is also true. I have noticed the same thing too with QSUD and other brands, but be assured there is 5 qts in there. I have also noticed that caps are often not on the jug tight.

Ahhhh..so now I see why other brands put the foil on top. It is much less likely to leak out that way. Id rather Shell charged a buck more per jug and seal them right.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mark72
Ahhhh..so now I see why other brands put the foil on top. It is much less likely to leak out that way. Id rather Shell charged a buck more per jug and seal them right.

Those 2.5 GALLON Jugs of Rotella were leaking like crazy. Seeping, even. The oil was likely OK, and they were on sale.. but wow, what faded, scraped-up packaging Jugs!

Made me skip on Rotella......

I can tell you that those Oil jugs are SUPPOSED to be handled with care, but one or two BOXES may have been pinched against a corner.. causing seepage.

I have never seen a 5 qt hash mark along the window on any 5qt jug Ive bought. Maybe I need to Look closer ... I though marking stops at 4.5qts then the oil goes "up the handle".

Its fundamentally incorrect to assume these are a NIST calibrated fluid container :) If the jugs get "fat" from sitting about they would ABSOLUTELY read way low - they prob only read correctly when the side are held parallel and square during filling at the factory.

It could be the bottles. They may be splaying out.
Those markings are only a rough guide, anyway.

I used to work at a blow molding factory that made bottles such as this. There was a given amount of material specified for each. Weighing finished samples was how this part of quality was maintained.
The manufacturing temperatures could be too high, a mis adjustment, lazinesss or cheating, wrong mix of materisl, etc., could cause problems like this.
Also, QS could have spec'd less material, or a different mix, than recommended for a bottle to save costs.

Since you have the oil, could you measure it and see if the quantity is OK?

Most 4 and 5 quart jugs contain more than the specified amount of oil anyway. An extra 5oz in a 5 quart jug is pretty common. The marks on the side are practically never accurate.

Just an FYI. Oil containers are filled by weight, not volume. A gallon of oil weighs so much and that is how it is calibrated at the fill line. This leaves room for expansion in the containers.

I have a 5qt. container of QSUD and a 5qt, of PU they are both filled exactly to the same point. They don't have a 5qt. mark measurement on the jug, I measured the space between the 3 and 4qt. mark and it is just slightly more between 4 and 5. So in other words it looks slightly overfilled. If you are totally sure your eyeing it right, don't open it and take it back because it could have leaked. I tried deforming the jug and it was very difficult to do and the change in oil level was negligible. Get out a ruler and check.

Originally Posted By: coffee
I have noticed several times that the jugs can leak during transport and stocking and I have had to put many back after placing in cart due to leakage. Maybe that is what happened to them. The stock clerks would just have wiped them off and shelved them so it may not be QS fault. Just a thought.

+1

Originally Posted By: heavyhitter
Originally Posted By: pbm
5 Liter mark ?

Yes most definately It is the 5 qt mark I am looking at.

I never check to see they are full, It is something I just expect and assume it will be. I do check to make sure the caps havent been tampered with though.

If you're so sure it's short, use a measuring container so there's no doubt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back