Disposing of Used Oil Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
The local fire station in my town takes them. Iam sure Walmart would take them, since they have a bunch and are probably getting them picked up bulk. Before that I just threw them away in the trash, I am bad about killing the planet.

Drain em in old coffee cans with holes poked in the bottom of the filter. Usually leave them that way for a few months, drain off the oil, then let sit for some more time, then dispose in trash.

Go to earth911.com to find locations near you that will recycle them. My local Walmart will take mine without question.

Thanks, that's a good site! And it reminds me that I have a couple bottles of brake fluid and will also have a case of transmission fluid to recycle after I do my wife's Vue later this spring.

I put mine in a Zip lock bag or empty soft drink cup with lid and take them to Valvoline Instant Oil Change or Wal-Mart Lube with the used oil. The used oil I put in an empty Hawaiian Punch gallon container.

Originally Posted By: barlowc
Used oil filters... other than cutting them open and taking pictures for all to see, what do you do with them?

After you cut them open and take pics, throw the steel in the recycle and throw the filter element in the trash(I let all the oil drain down from the can by letting it sit on top of the oil container I use). If you can find a place that will take the filters, take them there.

I dispose of used oil, unwanted oil bottles, and filters at Autozone. I don't know what they do with the bottles and filters, but they take them. I always assumed any place that took used oil would also take filters and empty bottles.

My county has a service that will pick up hazardous materials from your home once a year. They take car batteries, old paint, oil, antifreeze, etc. They give you a plastic bag and a bunch of labels to put on the stuff. You are supposed to be limited to whatever you can fit into the bag but last year I literally had six 5 gallon containers of oil and antifreeze and they took it...along with the dozen or so drained oil filters....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back