DISK VS DOWNLOAD?

I was a holdout for getting the physical copy if the same price. Why? We IPll I felt the online version should have had a lesser price since there were less costs involved.

In the end I gave up, the physical copy means little since you need to update it usually anyway. And it's not like a gaming system where you can sell the game in a few years.

Less clutter and waste, I just use the online version now and have for many years. They wore me down lol.

Not sure if it is still the case, but as late as the last year or two the disc Deluxe version of TurboTax offered some schedules that the download Deluxe version did not, (Schedules C and or D, I don't remember), thus forcing you to download the Premium version online at a higher price. Since I use both Schedules C & D I prefer to buy the disc.

I haven’t seen new laptops or desktops come with an optical drive in at least 5 years now. Even my 2yr old Dell workstation at the office doesn’t have an optical drive. I don’t even miss them. I’ve never even ran into a situation where I thought darn, I wish I had an optical drive right now. To me they are like VHS or cassette tapes.
Well, I have over a dozen of these factory Ford service manuals on DVD from the early 90's to 2019.

s-l1600.jpg

They don't work if you just copy them to your hard drive (or maybe I'm not doing it right). You need a DVD drive which my 4-5 year old Dell desktop has.

Been using at leat 10 years, always a disk as I share it with daughter. Also, 5 years down the road if I ever need to reinstall I will have the disc.

I just hate the way Quicken has gone with the yearly subscription, refuse to participate in that so running a 2015 version that is fine. I do not want my software on the cloud not the data.

CreditKarma offers free efiling fed/state. I have been using them 5 years now with no issues.
I don't trust CK's tax. They got mine wrong compare to places like taxact and freetaxusa, somehow they didn't know that you can have different deduction between federal (standard) and state (itemize).

I would never do something as sensitive as taxes on line. I would, also, never store sensitive information on line. Why? Sixteen years in Secure Comm Squadron in the Air Force.
I think you kind of expect people to file online now because paper mail is never secure in the first place.

Beware of Turbo Tax. They now charge you. I've always done our own taxes. If I'm doing all the work, there's no way in hell I'm paying. I go on FreeTaxUSA and do ours for free.
Can't say enough good about FreeTax USA although I gladly pay a few bucks extra for state filing. Hats off to Credit Karma but it couldn't handle my rather complex returns (portions of race horses and two rental properties) when I tried it several years ago. Thirteen years since I've bought a computer with a DVD drive. Can't imagine buying software that way but it does bring back memories.

I've never used Turbo Tax, too expensive. Switched from Tax Act several years ago when their prices skyrocketed.

I've been satisfied for several years using 1040NOW. It is NOT FREE. It is $19.95 to e-file a Federal return. Nothing to download, no ads. Some states require you to file Federal and state returns jointly, mine (OH) does not. There is a separate fee for state returns. My experience has been that it will ask you every question that is on the long form 1040. Your responses dictate which form is actually filed. There is no tax advice or information. It's basically just a filing service. Call me crazy, but I feel safer paying for the service rather than trusting a free provider. You get what you pay for, etc. Your mileage may vary.

New computers don't have optical drives so the only way is to download. If you have the optical drive don't think it matters much which way you go. If your taxes are simple, you can usually file for free. I use the cloud version of tax software for my kids.

Isn't USB like the new way to transport media?

I think you kind of expect people to file online now because paper mail is never secure in the first place.
Well said.
Encrypted data online is more secure then anything known to mankind. Paper mail is the weakest link known to mankind.
The thing people get "messed up" about this is, normal people give access to their computers by downloading worms/viruses seeking to steal the keys to the encrypted data as well as employees of companies and government falling for the same tricks plus some really wild "spy stuff" however the really wild stuff isnt going after you, they are after the masses and government.

You cant steal it without the "keys" to decrypt it.
Paper mail is not secure and even if you paper mail it, it is scanned, digitized and saved the same as if you sent it online yourself.

I used H&R Block online tax services. I was unable to go back a year and review or amend my tax return. I found that infuriating. I had to do the entire complex process by hand.

The service was great, inputs were easy and the prompts were at times helpful. But the inability to "do it again" with revised data really, really bothered me.

Thank goodness I fill out the EZ form now.

"IF" you can get your hands on the software for a particular year, do so.

I just went through this. You need to create an account with TurboTax to download the program even if you purchase the disc. You do not need to register if loading from the disc, you can click through the reg page.
Turbotax comes with 5 filings so I used to split the cost with my folks for the program. My folks did three filings and I did two. This year, my dad had trouble zipping the disc so I tried to download and use the key. Nope, need to create an account.

Whatever you are most comfortable using. There is no real advantage to one over the other. I am pretty sure you have to buy another CD Product or Download next year as the software only works for 2020 filings.

True. 99% of the public doesn't know or care what's going on (including my children). Encryption means squat to me as noted in the latest breaches in our top government agencies. I know there is sensitive data about me out there (hard to hide from being in the military). But I'm of the opinion of trying to keep as little of my dirty laundry from the internet as possible. I don't do smart phones, social media and such. I don't do Microsoft on my computers and try to keep my computers and internet use locked down.
Yet you use what apparently is your amateur radio callsign as your BITOG username. Ever looked that up and see what info is freely available to see?

Back