DISK VS DOWNLOAD?

I am going to do my own taxes this year using Turbo Tax. For the same price, I can get a disk or download the program. My first thought is to purchase the disk version but, not sure this is the best idea. Discussion and suggestions. Thank you so much. Ed Hayes

New computers don't have optical drives so the only way is to download. If you have the optical drive don't think it matters much which way you go. If your taxes are simple, you can usually file for free. I use the cloud version of tax software for my kids.

I've been doing the Turbotax online for years, stopped buying the disks in the store. Costs the same, I'm not sure there's any benefit to buying the box at the store since the software in the box will likely update itself once it's installed.

Ditto, doesn't really matter except with the disc you need a working disc drive. More important is that you save a backup of your return and of the program if it is needed to open the return file (I don't recall). I mean a redundant backup, not on your computer HDD/SSD.

Laptop might be different. Most people I assume would have a desktop at home they use.
I just checked BestBuy and a lot of new computers still have the optical drive. A lot don't have them. I think you'll be fine for now. In 20 years...optical drives might be almost as rare as a floppy drive is today.

Beware of Turbo Tax. They now charge you. I've always done our own taxes. If I'm doing all the work, there's no way in hell I'm paying. I go on FreeTaxUSA and do ours for free.

Since when? I have a bunch of DVD based manuals that would be worthless then.
I haven’t seen new laptops or desktops come with an optical drive in at least 5 years now. Even my 2yr old Dell workstation at the office doesn’t have an optical drive. I don’t even miss them. I’ve never even ran into a situation where I thought darn, I wish I had an optical drive right now. To me they are like VHS or cassette tapes.

I use TurboTax online version with no issues through the web browser for at least 4 years now. Super easy to use and it has been getting better each year with improvements.

After you file your taxes it generates PDFs to download with all your filing information. Just download and dump in a folder on your computer each year for record. I’m also fairly sure TurboTax stores it as well under your login and password so if you need to retrieve tax filing documents it’s all right there.

Its doesnt matter download or disc. I used to feel the way you do many years ago but the bottom line is, you can download a copy wherever you are and always have the latest version.
Many computers on the market do not have optical drives as they are rarely used, Many years ago I used to make sure to have one in ANY computer I purchased, I noticed that I never used them.

I have the solution and here it is, if you want to feel better and want a "hard copy" download the program and save a copy on a memory USB stick. Then it can be installed on just about any computer, no optical drive needed, cost less then $8.
Though, again, with todays high speed access, you maybe will find yourself just downloading another copy if needed.

I would never do something as sensitive as taxes on line. I would, also, never store sensitive information on line. Why? Sixteen years in Secure Comm Squadron in the Air Force.
Well, I am willing to guess at least 100 million tax returns are now filed online and hard copies no longer sent to the IRS as well as everyones bank account on line and every aspect of most peoples lives. Sensitive information on yourself is stored everywhere, complete with SS number, right down to your dentist office.
Its all encrypted, the weak link are the people who download viruses and worms on their computers and all government agencies and private agencies that have your information which is everybody.

Well, I am willing to guess at least 100 million tax returns are now filed online and hard copies no longer sent to the IRS as well as everyones bank account on line and every aspect of most peoples lives. Sensitive information on yourself is stored everywhere, complete with SS number, right down to your dentist office.
Its all encrypted, the weak link are the people who download viruses and worms on their computers and all government agencies and private agencies that have your information which is everybody.
True. 99% of the public doesn't know or care what's going on (including my children). Encryption means squat to me as noted in the latest breaches in our top government agencies. I know there is sensitive data about me out there (hard to hide from being in the military). But I'm of the opinion of trying to keep as little of my dirty laundry from the internet as possible. I don't do smart phones, social media and such. I don't do Microsoft on my computers and try to keep my computers and internet use locked down.

^^ Well that is what I am saying as I assume you know. Encryption is important and almost impossible to "break" Its not the "encryption" that is broken. People load viruses onto computers that give others access to the information. Hijacked data is useless, you need the "keys" to decode it and that can only happen by breaking into the sources computers.

I know that there is free filing all over the place, but we never qualify due to certain financial situation.

Our taxes are quite simple however, but we never make the "free" tier.

I find it worthwhile to just stick to HR Block online, and pay them every year. This way they keep the old tax returns on their server if I need to retrieve them in a quick way.

If you hunt around there are DEEP discounts for their online software every year around tax time. I typically pay $10-$20 for their deluxe software after finding coupon codes, and stack with RAKUTEN cashback the cost is basically nothing.

My method for doing taxes has a double "safety", I scan all the documents into a cloud service as well and store them indeffinititely and keep it organized.

When the time comes around to get a mortgage, and they request certain documents I can download all the files and have it to the company almost instantly. Most folks would still be digging in a brief case and figuring out how to fax it, mine is all digital.

Been using TurboTax online for 10 years, never an issue. Why download something on your computer when you can just rely on their server to store everything? You're submitting your taxes electronically either way, so if you're concerned about risk, you're not evading anything by using the disk.

Back