Dishwasher Spot Free Hack/Trick/Recommendation for some :)

Plastic.

I doubt citric in that low dilution will harm plastic.

Same - I wouldnt worry about the plastic in any brand - its more the seals Im concerned with.

I was more interested in the question from the perspective of a comparison between Miele and Bosch.

Mieles have 2 SS arms and one plastic arm.

How bad is that stuff for the septic system? Mine is quite old and sensitive; I'd hate to put something down there I shouldn't.

Although, I've never noticed any spotting on my dishes after a cycle. My water softener is kind of over-softening the water though, so that might have something to do with it...
Completely harmless. I'm sure I could dump a pound a day down and no problem, let alone a diluted tablespoon a day MAX

How bad is that stuff for the septic system? Mine is quite old and sensitive; I'd hate to put something down there I shouldn't.

Although, I've never noticed any spotting on my dishes after a cycle. My water softener is kind of over-softening the water though, so that might have something to do with it...

Debbie Dennis · Jan 12, 2022
Will citric acid to clean the dishwasher harm septic system?
Like ·Reply ·Flag

Inspectapedia Com Moderator (mod) · Jan 12, 2022
@Debbie Dennis,

No, not at normal residential household use frequency and volume.

Typical dishwasher cleaning instructions using citric acid are given by GE and note that you're using 3-4 ounces of cleaner in the dishwasher followed by a wash cycle. That volume of citric acid solution in a normal residential septic tank will be so dilute as to be harmless. Consider it's 3-4 ounces (crystal form) in 750 to 1000 gallons of wastewater further diluted by following wastewater entering the tank and septic drainfield.

4 ounces (if it were 100% liquid - the most-concentrated possible) in one gallon = 24944 ppm.

In a 1000 gallon septic tank that'd be about 25 ppm or 25 parts of citric acid per million parts of wastewater before ensuing dilution.

New Bosch DW - quiet and efficient. We love it.
We use tabs, which actually work really well at cleaning. Everything quite clean.
Soft water, treated well water, KCl. Clean and low minerals.
No spoting on glass, some water spoting on plastics
Some very slight soap residue if water puddles on items and sometimes on surfaces and with a clear clean glass fill with RO water, some slight soap type bubble. PROBLEM!
Tried the usual rinse aids, actually made the residue a bit worse. At best a waste of money.

So we put the detergent tab right in, not in the timer cup. Helps!!

Then we took a next step. We drop the detergent tab in bottom to start and put citric acid (1 tablespoon) in the timer cup. WHAMMO problem solved!

So I bought a 5 pound bag of citric acid (food grade) , transferred some to jar next to the tabs. Been doing this for a few weeks and everything that cycles is quite nice, no residue, nothing.

Everybody has different water and machines and soap, etc but this worked for us. Give this a shot if you don't want to buy a rinse aid which I knew ended up going in my body.

Also we never run aluminum in the DW (which detergent is hard on anyway).
How do you like the Bosch dishwasher? From what I've read they don't have a heating element by use passive drying?

Same - I wouldnt worry about the plastic in any brand - its more the seals Im concerned with.

I was more interested in the question from the perspective of a comparison between Miele and Bosch.

Mieles have 2 SS arms and one plastic arm.
Well considering the cost difference in the machines and our max stay of 8-10 more years, not too worried about the arms.

How do you like the Bosch dishwasher? From what I've read they don't have a heating element by use passive drying?
Solid value for the money. Not super expensive but well worth the few hundred $ more for the quiet.

It's our second Bosch (last house I put one in as well). I say no heating element is the way to go. Less to fail, frankly. I'm sure if you open the DW right at the end of a cycle the dishes will be more dry with a heating element, but our dishes are dry if you let it cycle.

PS If you never had a 3rd (top) rack for your silverware, I think you will love it. We just put all that and other gadgets up top, removed the normal flatware racks and suddenly the DW is just enormous!

Last edited:
Completely harmless. I'm sure I could dump a pound a day down and no problem, let alone a diluted tablespoon a day MAX

Well you got that fancy system, I wouldn't dare dump that much down mine :ROFLMAO:

I might need to try some on a cycle. I remembered while I don't get spotting, I'm getting some slight discoloration from buildup I presume.

Well considering the cost difference in the machines and our max stay of 8-10 more years, not too worried about the arms.

Mieles get crazy - I buy the base Miele dishwasher which is 1K, pretty sure I got 22-3 years out of my first one.

If I didnt have a Miele I'd have a Bosch.

On Arms- you want the middle arm to be plastic regardless- It very likely that at some time a plate or other glassware could get hit by the middle spray arm - plastic is less likely to chip.

"according to the miele rep" - On the tub and 3rd rack arm being SS allows more pressure while hot and smaller diameter holes than a plastic arm that will not either distort under load or abrade as much over time and alter the stream.

Passive drying works great on glassware but not so well for plastic.
Truth.

We really have reduced our plastic stuff and now don't so willy nilly put plastics through the cycle. The stupid "push on" lids always getting killed in the DW anyway - it's the heat, not soap or anything else.

For the ultimate dishwasher hack, especially for older dishwashers, is to add a scant half teaspoon of Sodium Tripolyphosphate to reach load. That's the ingredient they removed from dishwashing detergent a decade ago and is the stuff that made it work.

Sodium Tripolyphosphate is readily available online.

Truth.

We really have reduced our plastic stuff and now don't so willy nilly put plastics through the cycle. The stupid "push on" lids always getting killed in the DW anyway - it's the heat, not soap or anything else.

The flip side is that you can put plastic pieces on the bottom rack and they wont warp from an exposed heating coil -

I use Finish tablets and rinse aid from Costco (stock up when it's on sale) in a BOTL el cheapo Frigidaire dishwasher that's 8 years old, the thing is so cheap it has a plastic tub and gets fed the hardest municipal water you've ever seen. To this day the inside is spotless and all the glasses and silverware come out spotless. Yeah it's a little noisier than a Bosch but it isn't bad. No complaints.

Back