Discount Tire- no more pro-rated road hazard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
IME, the rule of thumb is to buy the certs (which are usually offered at a buy 3, get 1 free deal) if you tend to average 2 or more unrepairable punctures over the life of a set of tires. If you average 1 (or less), then the economics do not make any sense.

Most people fall into the latter.
I typically never buy any extra coverages on anything but have had enough tire issues with my commute to make it work over the long haul economically.

In the 1960's a typical OE tire was a 2 ply baloney skin and 4 ply as an option. Either way, there were many cord separations and blow outs. (lots of dented/bent up bumpers from multiple road side jack use to change to the spare) That's much less common now in my experience and so I'll self insure.

Resurrecting an old thread here. I just bought tires at DT. They still have the free pro-rated road hazard warranty:

"What if my tire is damaged or defective? Every tire we sell comes with a FREE pro-rated road hazard warranty, as well as a manufacturer’s limited warranty. We also offer our Certificate for Repair, Refund, or Replacement program. Learn more about our Certificate program."

They don't give any more details, but was told it covers just like the Costco Road Hazard warranty, even out to 5 years. DT had price matched Costco on the tires.

Regarding the Certificates, they cost 15% per tire. If you only have one tire damaged beyond repair, you have actually paid 60% of the cost of the tire (Four tires at 15% each for the Certificates). And it is only good for 3 years. Plus you have to get the Certificate in the replacement tire I think. So that bumps it to 75% of the cost of one tire.

If the failure happens early in the tread life (ie minimal tread wear) then you have close to the same coverage with their free pro-rated warranty. So it is hard to see how the Certificates make sense, unless you are damaging tires frequently.

"What if my tire is damaged or defective? Every tire we sell comes with a FREE pro-rated road hazard warranty, as well as a manufacturer’s limited warranty. We also offer our Certificate for Repair, Refund, or Replacement program. Learn more about our Certificate program."
Labor costs may not be included.

I put the certificates on every DT tire I buy.

Usually the guy will give you buy 3 get one free.

They will even put a certificate on tires that you did not buy from them. I bought two tires from them, and had them put certificates on all four tires, and two were not from them.

If you drive a non sporty car, a cheap crossover like I do, and you aren't too picky about tires, its a good deal. They replaced a no name tire with another no name tire for no charge when it had a non repairable flat. When the other one had a puncture they put a Michelin on there because thats all they had in stock.

I'm a little ashamed to say that my Escape has three different brand tires on it currently, but when I wear them down I'll buy a new matched set :)

Last year I went through a tire every 2 months for about 8 months straight. I got enough value from the certificates that any more I buy will be essentially free.

Last year I went through a tire every 2 months for about 8 months straight. I got enough value from the certificates that any more I buy will be essentially free.
Do they charge the installation fee on the new tire? Do you have to buy a new certificate for the new tire?

I usually get the certs if I plan on actually driving on the tires enough to wear them out.. and if they deal on them..

last time IIRC they came down to 30$ for 4 certs on my toyos which were over 200$ each.
Ended up using one when I ran over a razor blade.. I did get wacked for another cert at full price ie around 30$.
Still worth it for that one.

Hit this last night.. no damage.. but could have been.

Do they charge the installation fee on the new tire? Do you have to buy a new certificate for the new tire?
They charged nothing, the new certificate is optional. I’ve declined once or twice if the other tire on the axle is lower on tread.

It's weird that everyone keeps calling it a certificate. Every time I've purchased tires from Discount Tire they tell me how much it is then how much their "unconditional " warranty is. I've never had them deny any damage warranty, they've always replaced it no questions asked. Only once I had them pro-rate a set of Pirelli tires that were supposedly 80,000 mile tires but only managed 40k out of them. They gave me $200 credit no issues.

It's weird that everyone keeps calling it a certificate. Every time I've purchased tires from Discount Tire they tell me how much it is then how much their "unconditional " warranty is.
I went to their website and they use the phrase "certificate". I wonder if you are encountering someone who either is trying to use words that they think will help folks better understand what these are or using words that THEY understand better.

I think the basic DT road hazard warranty would have fully covered the tires as they would have had minimal wear, hence no prorated decrease. Did you have to pay for mounting and for a new certificated for each replaced tire?

I don’t buy “certificates” or “warranties” on tires. Waste of money. The company makes money on the deal, or they wouldn’t push the product so hard.

I’ve done the math. In the past 12 years or so, I’ve bought 20 sets of tires. Roughly. I’ve bought more than four complete sets* of tires in the last 12 months alone.

So, at $25-$30 for each tire to be “insured”, I would’ve spent $2,000 on “certificates”. In the last 12 years, and all those tires, I’ve had to replace one damaged tire. $180 for the tire, mounted, balanced, not on sale, on the Volvo XC.

If your wallet can’t handle the cost of a tire, well, OK, then buy the insurance for a tire.

But this is a case where self-insuring saves a lot of money. If your wallet can take the hit, skip the certificates.

* In the past year:
4 275/55R20 Michelin Tires for the Tundra
4 235/45R17 Big O tires for the V70
4 235/45R17 Michelin Pilot Sport AS4 for the V70R
4 245/45R18 Michelin Pilot Sport AS4 for the S600
2 275/35R18 Michelin Pilot Sport AS4 for the SL600

About $4,200 in tires. At $30 for each certificate, I declined an extra $540. I can buy a couple of tires for that…

I think the basic DT road hazard warranty would have fully covered the tires as they would have had minimal wear, hence no prorated decrease. Did you have to pay for mounting and for a new certificated for each replaced tire?
Did not buy the tires at Discount tire. They sold me a certificate for a tire that was already flat. Brought in the flat, bought 5 certificates. 1 for the flat tire. 3 for the tires that were on the car. 1 for the new tire that replaced the flat. Cost $350? For all five certificates. 1 new tire was $450? Have since had to replace another front, covered by the certificates that was would have cost $324. Did not buy a new certificate as I desperately want to buy different tires and am too thrifty to waste the OE rubber. I now have enough miles on the vehicle I feel I have gotten some use out of the tires, the first flat was in the first 5,000 miles. Never paid for mounting or balancing.

I want to purchase the tires soon at Costco or DT. I want to compare the Costco Road Hazard Warranty with the DT basic road hazard warranty. Where can I find the basic DT road hazard warranty ?

I would consider getting the certificates, but 3 years is too short. I suspect that the tires that I want will last 5 or 6 years based on my driving habits.

Last edited:
I want to purchase the tires soon at Costco or DT. I want to compare the Costco Road Hazard Warranty with the DT basic road hazard warranty, Where can I find the basic DT road hazard warranty ?

I would consider getting the certificates, but 3 years is too short. I suspect that the tires that I want will last 5 or 6 years based on my driving habits.

If you get a road hazard puncture at 5 years, it's almost time for new tires anyway, right? :unsure:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back