Discount Tire in-house Michelins comparison.

Back in 2009, I had a set of brand new Michelin DESTINY tires put on my Toyota. I drove the TAR out of those, and got almost 80,000 out of them. Now the new replacement, called the Michelin DEFENDER, is already close to 5/32" depth after being installed in late summer 2016 as the replacement tires, and having only about 50,000 miles accumulated. This is deplorable! Anyone else had this issue?

Originally Posted by Jarpin
Back in 2009, I had a set of brand new Michelin DESTINY tires put on my Toyota. I drove the TAR out of those, and got almost 80,000 out of them. Now the new replacement, called the Michelin DEFENDER, is already close to 5/32" depth after being installed in late summer 2016 as the replacement tires, and having only about 50,000 miles accumulated. This is deplorable! Anyone else had this issue?

Different tire models from same manufacturer will give you different results. What was depth of Destiny after 80k?

Well, depth I'm not sure about, but I do know that is was supposed to be the DIRECT successor to the DESTINY tire. I'm not comparing something like a high performance PILOT series tire to a basic all season Michelin product.

Well, depth I'm not sure about, but I do know that is was supposed to be the DIRECT successor to the DESTINY tire. I'm not comparing something like a high performance PILOT series tire to a basic all season Michelin product.

It does not matter. New tire will have different chemical compound. Maybe Michelin went for better handling and wet performance and they had to sacrifice some longevity. But your comparison is really not comparison. Let's say you drove tires in absolutely same conditions and your car is in absolutely same mechanical condition. So, comparison would be of both tires at same mileage. You said you drove TAR out of those tires, which I am assuming you wore out completely at 80K. So, what makes you think these cannot make close to 80k at 5/32?

Last edited:
Your newer car"must" have "toe" settings on the front and the rear that are not "zero", so they are wearing faster. Or more concrete roads you drive on have a more aggressive rough brushing. It could be as easy as that.

You are on track for 80k.

You have used 5/8th of the safe tread depth in 50k miles.

Originally Posted by edyvw

Different tire models from same manufacturer will give you different results. What was depth of Destiny after 80k?

The Defender LTX is rated for 70k miles or the T & H for 80k miles. Looks like you're going to come close so what's the issue ?

Also, what does Discount Tire have to do with any of this ? It appears that the Defenders are sold by many retailers (Discount Tire, Walmart, auto dealers, local tire chains, Midas, and so on).

Oh, well maybe then I was just lied to by the salesperson since I've really only been buying from Discount for the last fourteen years. Good to know. I'll be shopping around now.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Side note.

Tread depth differs

Michelin DESTINY 11/32
Michelin DEFENDER 10/32

That's also somewhat relevant. Thanks for the insight

Originally Posted by Mainia
Your newer car"must" have "toe" settings on the front and the rear that are not "zero", so they are wearing faster. Or more concrete roads you drive on have a more aggressive rough brushing. It could be as easy as that.

Yes, I think maybe time for an alignment too.

Being deplorable myself I understand your predicament. More likely the tires have some dangerous dry rot before getting to EOL. Apples and oranges on the 2 tires.

Back