Discount Tire attempts to scam me...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well a call to corporate may do nothing but there's little or nothing to lose. Having observed here, a Bitoger get a rebate he clearly didn't qualify for because of an inadvertent invoice ad on a DTD (DT's sister company) invoice, I don't doubt their commitment to customer satisfaction. That would be if I had any, which based on my experience I don't. Imo, can't hurt to express ones thoughts/concerns on the experience.

But, as DT only does tires quite certain no free oil changes will be offered.

As an aside, last time a went to get my tires rotated/balanced, as the DT rep prepared to check my tread depth I casually mentioned that I needed to get a tread depth gauge to check my tires. He gave me one of his, simple as that. Honestly wasn't hinting or expecting that either.

I remember selling a used car to a woman when I worked at a Honda dealer. She complained about squeaks coming from the front end, and we replaced her struts. She later complained about the same noise coming from the back of the car and they replaced her rear struts. Each time she came in I got charged back 20% of the repair. She called a third time and I told her to play her radio louder. She called the GM of the dealership and tossed me head first under the bus. He called me in his office, and when the conversation ended the two of us were hysterical. I used that line once before and my manager at the time wasn't as happy, but in both instances I kept my job, and no further action was taken. Honestly management in most of these operations doesn't care. At least in the 5 dealerships I worked at all they cared about was profits and moving metal. I don't see tire store chain operations being any different. JMO

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I remember selling a used car to a woman when I worked at a Honda dealer. She complained about squeaks coming from the front end, and we replaced her struts. She later complained about the same noise coming from the back of the car and they replaced her rear struts. Each time she came in I got charged back 20% of the repair. She called a third time and I told her to play her radio louder. She called the GM of the dealership and tossed me head first under the bus. He called me in his office, and when the conversation ended the two of us were hysterical. I used that line once before and my manager at the time wasn't as happy, but in both instances I kept my job, and no further action was taken. Honestly management in most of these operations doesn't care. At least in the 5 dealerships I worked at all they cared about was profits and moving metal. I don't see tire store chain operations being any different. JMO

How is that your problem and you get to pay for it.
Its their car,you just sold it.

OP, I found the same thing. I have purchased from DT for 25 years. I recently went in to get a quote and they stuck the TPMS sensors on there. The car only had 25k miles on it so I was willing to take the chance. I asked them to take them off and they claimed they would not do the job without rebuilding them. I said fine and went elsewhere. It should be up to the customer whether they get changed.

Originally Posted By: bornconfuzd
Sorry that happened to you Brybo86!

If the same thing had happened to me I'm sure I'd feel just as you do.

But, I've been buying tires from Discount Tire here in the Houston area exclusively for the last fifteen years & they've never been anything but fair and honest. So much so that when they once bought a set of tires back from my wife's car just because she didn't like them I almost felt like I was taking advantage of them!

If you have the time, I urge you to call their corporate headquarters and report this incident.

Just fyi, I'm not affiliated in any way to Discount Tire except as a customer.

Heck yeah. The guy straight lied,then when called on it cops an attitude.
You are far more patient than I op. I've got a bad temper,and that right there would have blown my top.

My recent DT new tires install for recent bought SUV they didn't have the TPMS on the order or mention it so I told them I wanted the TPMS rebuild done.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Originally Posted By: sayjac

I've never had a bad experience with a DT purchase to the service after the sale. In fact the service after the sale has been unparalleled in my experience.

^^^^ Exactly what I have heard about DT and exactly why I decided to purchase tires from them...

Which is also why I was so surprised they tried to dupe me.

However, the end of my post went to say...

.....So, as with most things where the individual retail store is ultimately responsible, exceptions can occur.

Apparently the case here.

To the OP, the H20 tank test was a lie and they did you wrong.

Regarding the rest of this topic about SOP TPMS rebuild, I can see possible liability issues and another opportunity to hate lawyers.

Suppose you are in an accident due to a tire leak and the lawyer finds your service receipt that states you denied a SOP safety service? I attempt to not sweat the details, but I can see this issue being a concern because it involves a safety feature.

We (some of us) accept the higher costs of living to have computers, cell phones, etc.. I guess we will just have to absorb this extra tire expense also??

Having observed here, a Bitoger get a rebate he clearly didn't qualify for because of an inadvertent invoice ad on a DTD (DT's sister company) invoice.

Bro... are you angry? DT had the EXACT same sale as DTD just that it was 2 days later. Enough with your garbage, please.

To be honest I'm wondering if you bought tires like 2 weeks ago and are kicking yourself that you DIDN'T get the rebate...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Clevy

How is that your problem and you get to pay for it.
Its their car,you just sold it.

It's called a charge back. I made 20% commission when I sold the car. If it comes back for a repair in the first 30 days after the sale you get banged for 20% of the repair, unless the car was sold with a flat fee commission. It was just another way salesmen got hosed out of commission $$, which is a long story for another time.

My experience with Discount Tire is from the supply side of the business - and the impression I am left with is that Discount Tire's management DOES care about these sorts of things - and would welcome a call or an email with details. I'm not saying they would fix the problem, but NOT informing management is one way to assure that nothing will be done.

Having observed here, a Bitoger get a rebate he clearly didn't qualify for because of an inadvertent invoice ad on a DTD (DT's sister company) invoice.

Bro... are you angry? DT had the EXACT same sale as DTD just that it was 2 days later. Enough with your garbage, please.

To be honest I'm wondering if you bought tires like 2 weeks ago and are kicking yourself that you DIDN'T get the rebate...

One, not your "bro".

Two, clearly as I said DTD I wasn't referring to you and your DT puchase. So perhaps it is you that has some kind of persecution complex or personality disorder. Should have figured it with your clandestined description of the DT lobby observation window.

The DTD rebate quote refers to a posting of an actual incident that occurred was posted here previously, I thought that was fairly clear. Apparently not clear enough for you. As I have DT stores near me, there would be no need for me to have or use a DTD rebate, so wrong again on your assumption.

As I posted this DTD/DT sale on the promo board here, quite certain I'm well aware of when the sales went into effect.

And, every time you've quoted me in this thread including this time, you've taken my posts out of context without an indication ... of other parts to post.

Lastly, as my posts have shown I didn't condone your particular DT store's behavior. But, based on your ""garbage" comment and false assumptions above, maybe puts things in a different perspective. Perhaps time to remove the bug?

As Demarpaint already pointed out, their 'sales training' is just a bit out of hand. When you set up a compensation structure it must be carefully controlled so the employees don't go nuts and burn people either deliberately or not.

I have never had the pleasure of a real brick and mortar DTD store, but I have purchased many many sets of tires from them and even when the sale was buggered up they always seemed VERY interested in making things right first and sorting it out later. Truly great customer service.

I bet a thoughtful letter to the right person would get a good reaction.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
My experience with Discount Tire is from the supply side of the business - and the impression I am left with is that Discount Tire's management DOES care about these sorts of things - and would welcome a call or an email with details. I'm not saying they would fix the problem, but NOT informing management is one way to assure that nothing will be done.

A call or a letter never hurts. I had a problem with Mavis Tire ruining the center caps on my vintage Cyclone wheels. They didn't care, their manager didn't care, corporate didn't care either. They had lots of excuses though. I disputed the damage on my credit card and suddenly they cared. Now it was "OK what's it going to take to make this right." I made them give me money off the purchase, it took the credit card company to make them cooperate.

sorry, clearly I thought you were referring to me in the above comment. I had no idea this other thread existed. I also didnt read anything in this thread that would lead me to believe you were not talking about me... "having observed here" vs "having observed in another recent thread" would have helped a lot.

sorry to have offended you, and I am sorry for insulting discount tire/discount tire direct. I honestly had no idea people had such strong feelings for tire shops here on bitog

sorry, clearly I thought you were referring to me in the above comment. I had no idea this other thread existed. I also didnt read anything in this thread that would lead me to believe you were not talking about me... "having observed here" vs "having observed in another recent thread" would have helped a lot......

Was there any reference in this thread to a DTD rebate or an invoice ad prior to that post? And again to put the quote above 'in context' my comment was preceded by the statement
Quote:
Well a call to corporate may do nothing but there's little or nothing to lose.

And followed by the statement
Quote:
I don't doubt their commitment to customer satisfaction.

And the term "here" referring to Bitog, next time I'll put it in parenthesis. But as none of those things was mentioned in this thread prior to that post, unclear to me how said "Bitoger" mentioned could be taken to be referring to you.

In any case, whatever course of action you decide on from this point, hope it works out to your satisfaction.

$10.00 per rebuild kit is high. DTD sells them for $4.00 a piece. And Tires.com sells them for $7.50.

I had them replaced on my car at America's when my oem tires wore out at 22,000 miles. I told my local store I was only going to pay DTD $4.00 price. They agreed. When I had those new tires bought back under warranty. I told them I don't need rebuild kits. They said ok. I never had problems with America's.

I probably would have bought the rebuild kit -- especially if it were the wife's main ride. However, I agree that was real shady. They obviously make a lot of profit on these rebuild kits, otherwise they wouldn't try to lie and scam you for $40. It seems ridiculous, and I wouldn't trust them for return business. That doesn't mean all DTs are rotten. I wish we had them around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back