Discount Tire attempts to scam me...

Status
Not open for further replies.
So yesterday I purchased a set of Continental PureContact 225/50R17 tires from Discount Tire. They had a deal where if you bought 4 tires on Saturday or Sunday you got a $100 rebate card in the mail. I was away this weekend so I placed the order over the phone and they ordered the tires which were not in stock.

Their normal price is 159 per tire. I had them pricematch an online retailer that is about a mile down the road at 140 per tire plus the 100 rebate so 593.19 OTD including rebate. The Tires came in on Tuesday so I went to Discount Tire.

When I got there I had them print the original receipt so I could double check what I was being charged for. They had added the TMPS rebuild kit onto the price to the tune of $10 per tire. I told them that I didn't want it. The guy told me that I was risking my life without the TMPS rebuild kit and they would have to put it in writing on the receipt. I told him to go ahead and remove it. I took awhile to get a manager approval who told me that when they mount the new tires if the sensor is leaking they would have to charge me mounting again to unmount the tire fix the sensor and then remount the tire. I said sounds good to me.

So they go to work changing the tires. I watch them through the window(Im not a huge fan of places that make you stand behind a window partially obscuring your view) to see if they are going to jack with my sensors.... So they put all of the wheels on and put them around a corner a little out of my view. About 5 minutes later one of the guy walks over and opens the door. He says " so we didn't touch the sensors at all and when we dunked them, 3 of the 4 tires are leaking." He had a nice grin on his face.

I told him that I wanted to see the leaks myself...He paused for a moment... "uhh.. ok" so he leads me back to the dunk tank and puts a wheel in... no leak. 2nd wheel... no leak. 3rd wheel... no leak. 4th wheel... no leak. I try as hard as I can to not get angry. I simply say looks good to me, let's put them on the car. He then says sure no problem "it's not my car, I don't have to drive it" I say "they aren't even leaking" He says "yeh but they will soon because you didn't rebuild them." OOOKKK.... So they put the tires on and I speed out of there.

So even though the guys tried to scam me I got out of there for a good deal. Pricematched lower than any price I could find and $100 rebate to boot.

Last edited:
Yeah new valve cores are such a racket.
confused2.gif

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Yeah new valve cores are such a racket.
confused2.gif

TPMS rebuild usually include the core, the nut that holds the sensor to the wheel and the gasket that goes between the sensor and wheel. Some sensors have the whole valve stem as a separate piece, so in that case the rebuild includes that, too.

Originally Posted By: dparm
How is that "attempting to scam" you?

Did you read the part where they told him 3 of the tires were leaking, he asked them to show him the leaks, and none were leaking?

Originally Posted By: Dave Sherman

Did you read the part where they told him 3 of the tires were leaking, he asked them to show him the leaks, and none were leaking?

Yeah, thats not right. There is attempting to sell someone a service, and then there is that garbage.

If I read it right, they tried to lie to the OP about the dunking thing...

We see leaks... He checks and doesnt. They were just trying another sales tactic without data to back it up.

I personally may have done the rebuild, but the OP was willing to accept the risk, and so to try another way which is just a lie to sell the rebuild (probably pure profit - $10 for a $0.50 o-ring) is shady and a type of scam.

I'm not looking forward to the day when I have to replace tires on my TPMS wheels.

There is no doubt in my mind that where I have the tires mounted and balanced will try to sell me stuff I do NOT need.

On my 08 Mazdaspeed 3 the gasket for the monitor was made of lead so it was able to be used and re-used. Tech at my independent installer showed them to me. He said he could get the kits for $2 apiece, but why? Just something else totally unnecessary that he'd have to stock.

Pure profit center.....

Yeah, I don't appreciate the way DT and other places like that do business, but I usually have good luck with indie tire shops. I haven't had to deal with the TPMS madness yet, but that day is coming.

Originally Posted By: Dave Sherman

Exactly, then when the guy got called out, out comes the attitude. I just did a tire rotation this morning instead of having Mavis Tire do a free rotation. Its just not worth the hassle to have to say NO to all the up selling, then worry about someone messing something up on purpose. It really is a shame that finding a place where you can bring a car and not have to deal with B_S is so hard around here. I have a good mechanic I trust now, it took years to find him.

With a former car that had the TPMS in the schroader valve, my tire dealer completely removed the TPMS device when he removed the old tire and installed the new tire. Only then did he reinstall the TPMS in the wheel. Said it was to prevent damage to the device.

BTW, there is a correct procedure for tire changes, both with the TPMS in the filler hole and for the type that wraps around the inside of the wheel.

Also, you are like me. You WATCH when someone works on your car.

Sorry that happened to you Brybo86!

If the same thing had happened to me I'm sure I'd feel just as you do.

But, I've been buying tires from Discount Tire here in the Houston area exclusively for the last fifteen years & they've never been anything but fair and honest. So much so that when they once bought a set of tires back from my wife's car just because she didn't like them I almost felt like I was taking advantage of them!

If you have the time, I urge you to call their corporate headquarters and report this incident.

Just fyi, I'm not affiliated in any way to Discount Tire except as a customer.

Since they tried to "scam" you, you should probably take your business elsewhere next time.

I've never had to deal with TPMS rebuild, but from what I've read here and elsewhere the TPMS rebuild with new tires is pretty much SOP especially for safety considerations. 'My opinion', sounds like you were being penny wise and pound foolish with your TPMS system.

As for the window at DT, many b&m tire retailers don't even have a window to watch the installation process. Some DT stores now even have bar stools at the window to watch the process. That said, I've never been unable to walk outside the DT garage to watch the process or denied entering the garage area to inspect my brake pads with the tires off.

And in my experience, torqueing the lugs at DT is SOP.

If you feel strongly that they tried to "scam" you, you should call the corporate office and report them.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

If I read it right, they tried to lie to the OP about the dunking thing...

We see leaks... He checks and doesnt. They were just trying another sales tactic without data to back it up.

I personally may have done the rebuild, but the OP was willing to accept the risk, and so to try another way which is just a lie to sell the rebuild (probably pure profit - $10 for a $0.50 o-ring) is shady and a type of scam.

A TPMS kit is $2-5, IIRC. Plus 5 minutes of labor. So, say 50-75% profit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back