Disappearing oil between oil changes

Don't tell her I wrote that then!
Women are usually pretty hard on cars from my expierience. It's best to use the proper procedure for the WOT, and it's not just thrasing it a bit.
What is the proper procedure for WOThrottle?

Dealer would call that "Normal Consumption". Just think of it this way, your piston rings are well lubricated, so the engine will last forever!
Do the WOT thing from time to time and see if that helps. Sometimes it's not best to drive like an old lady.
Ford just replaced my F-150 5.0 engine for that level of consumption. Mine was leaking through the heads somehow. Had oil in the cylinders in the morning after sitting all night.

May just be the low tension rings in these modern cars doing their thing but I'd try the pcv. If that engine has had constant oil changes you can still get some varnish on the oil control rings and id try to flush it for a while. A whole bottle supertech motor treatment in the oil and the rest of the oci should do it if it was the issue. If both fail just bump up a grade to like st 5/10w-30 and maybe plan on driving around to get some offers on it as it may not be a bad time as even that higher mileage example should be worth something.

Although the plugs may not be fouled or show a lot of deposits it doesn't mean they didn't burn a bit of oil. A quart every 2500 wouldn't do that and make it poof out where the sun don't shine. To really get deposits on then you'd have to burn a quart per 1k or more.

Which is what precisely?
The WOT procedure was first related to some of us long ago by a GM engineer. Specifically for dealing with low tension rings and carbon buildup in the ring pack of Northstar engines.

The key is actually in the "downshift mode" which causes very high vacuum in the combustion chambers, and therefor causes the rings to lift and "hoepfully" flutter. This tends to get them moving around a bit and clear out some carbon buildup.
In order for this to be EASY on the transmission, you don't just downshift into a low gear while goin 70 mph! NO!
You find a gear that your car revs comfortably in, and lock it in. You can be moving slowly obviously. Then while staying in that gear run the engine up to NEAR redline (never exceed) then let off the throttle, allowing the car to coast down to a slow speed, then repeat. Maybe a couple times at first, as many as 4 times if you feel it's not harming anything. Then return to normal driving.

My Caddy would run up to redline cutoff at about 65 mph in second gear. Then it would go back to about 35 after throttle lift. That worked very well and reduced my consumption considerebly.

If the WOT / high vacuum procedure does not reduce the oil consumption, try a good 5w30 and see if that helps. Even a 10w30 would be OK down to about 15 degrees F. In the meantime, keep an eye on the oil level and don't let it drop below the add mark. I regularly do high engine vacuum in all my vehicles in normal driving, such as, when at a red light and I'm confident the next light will turn (or stay) red, I lock it in 2nd and accelerate to 45-50 MPH and then let the compression braking slow the vehicle back down. Never had an issue with oil consumption. Good luck.

The oil fairy sucks it out at night while you are sleeping.
No just kidding.
It is burning or leaking.
Slowly burning oil will show no signs of smoke

Oh yeah, and don't overfill it. That was a common issue with Northstar consumption, one of the first engines with 7.5 quart sump capacity. Most would put in 8 quarts and call it good.
Ever since then, I've run all of my engines slightly below the full mark. And have had ZERO consumption between annual oil changes.

DGXR above said, "I regularly do high engine vacuum in all my vehicles in normal driving, such as, when at a red light and I'm confident the next light will turn (or stay) red, I lock it in 2nd and accelerate to 45-50 MPH and then let the compression braking slow the vehicle back down. Never had an issue with oil consumption."

Exactly It's why rolling hills and long Interstate drives are good too..
Don't Granny drive.
You want sensors to sense over their range and little actuators to actuate (wise man told me).

Changing PCV valves are a real pain on that engine. IIRC, intake manifold has to come off.
REAL small hands might be able to change it from below.

My 2¢

My Chrysler Town & country minivan would use oil. Didn't smoke or smell either.
I used Mobil 1 5W-20 since it was new.
Towing a pop-up camper for 4 hours on the freeway it used 1 quart. Topped off before coming home and again it used 1 quart on the way home.

The next year I switched to Castrol Edge (black bottle) 5W-20. On the same trip, it used 1 quart for the round trip. I switched to Castrol Edge exclusively after that test.

My other cars don't use any/much oil between changes. Only had oil consumption issues with the Chryslers I've owned.

I try to check the oil and all fluids of both our vehicles every weekend after yard work. A quick inspection of the engine bay and a walk around. Takes less than 5 minutes to do both cars.

My routine on sunday morning is to wake up have coffee, and check oil in both cars, and top off oil and washer fluid as necessary. Takes five minutes.
I used to follow that up with collecting the neighbors dog potty from the yard, but thats another thing.
check wiper blades, brake and PS fluid every month and every oil change: ready is steady, late is $pendy
mechanics gonna hate you for doing the checks. you gonna catch probs before they turn into angel $$ on the wing
always have spare juice and blades at hand, the cost of convenience in storage is far outweighed by the cost of a special trip.
saved many pocket$ and many honeydo's by changing blades just before inspexn due, half or less$ for 2 min work.
great reason for honey to give the shadetree man a pat on the back and a beer.

I have a 2017 Mazda CX-5, 2.5L It has 160,000 miles on it now. Where does the oil go between oil changes. I did an oil change yesterday an it was 2 qts. low before the change. This has been happening for a couple of years now. Does not smoke, no oil light, engine has never been overheated, runs great, no problems. Overactive PCV system? Could it be the oil or is it just a hot running engine. I change the oil regularly every 5000 miles. Using Super Tech 0-20 full syn. I know it’s not burning oil, did a spark plug change a few months ago. I don’t know if this is normal or not. Thanks
My 4.6 Fords liked to use oil. I never had tailpipe smoking issues either. Every 1000 miles. Add a qt. So, they burn enough, but not enough to show any visible signs. Your's is likely doing the same thing. I was lucky that I never had to change a cat converter. Changing grades of oil made no difference. We probably both had/ have low tension oil rings. Unfortunately, there seems to be no remedy.

My '02 ford 4.0 uses little oil, mostly from minor leaks or weeps. Not enough to spend money on to fix, less the a 1/4 qt a month. It has over 250 k miles on it ,so I use 10/30 or 10/40 in it. Besides keeping oil use down, it still runs smooth as butter.,

Back