Disappearing oil between oil changes

I have a 2017 Mazda CX-5, 2.5L It has 160,000 miles on it now. Where does the oil go between oil changes. I did an oil change yesterday an it was 2 qts. low before the change. This has been happening for a couple of years now. Does not smoke, no oil light, engine has never been overheated, runs great, no problems. Overactive PCV system? Could it be the oil or is it just a hot running engine. I change the oil regularly every 5000 miles. Using Super Tech 0-20 full syn. I know it’s not burning oil, did a spark plug change a few months ago. I don’t know if this is normal or not. Thanks

If it's not leaking it is being consumed. Check and replace the PCV valve if you haven't done so, use an OE part. With a catalytic converter you're not going to see smoke unless it is burning a lot of oil. Using two quarts of oil in 5K miles is not that bad. Having said that, the oil should be checked more often and not allowed to get that low. You can also try a HM oil and/or bumping up to a 5W30 oil.

My wife's Chevy equinox did the same thing. Then I ran slightly heavier oil in it, and it cut the consumption alot. It used to use a 1/2 qt every 750 miles. Now its down to 1/2 a qt every 1500 miles. It's 10 years old and only has 68k miles on it. Like you said, no signs of oil burning or leaking. I'm not will to spend any money to repair what heavier oil will take care of.,,,

Dealer would call that "Normal Consumption". Just think of it this way, your piston rings are well lubricated, so the engine will last forever!
Do the WOT thing from time to time and see if that helps. Sometimes it's not best to drive like an old lady.

If it's not leaking it is being consumed. Check and replace the PCV valve if you haven't done so, use an OE part. With a catalytic converter you're not going to see smoke unless it is burning a lot of oil. Using two quarts of oil in 5K miles is not that bad. Having said that, the oil should be checked more often and not allowed to get that low. You can also try a HM oil and/or bumping up to a 5W30 oil.
No leaks. I’ve thought about using 5-30. I’ll check the PCV valve .

Dealer would call that "Normal Consumption". Just think of it this way, your piston rings are well lubricated, so the engine will last forever!
Do the WOT thing from time to time and see if that helps. Sometimes it's not best to drive like an old lady.
My wife drives it 100% of the time, maybe I’ll take it out an thrash it a bit.

Cars that give you problems get the most attention. This CX-5 hasn’t been a problem at all so my fault for not checking the oil level plus I don’t drive it. During the spark plug change the old ones were very clean. I’ll get a new PCV valve.

Don't tell her I wrote that then!
Women are usually pretty hard on cars from my expierience. It's best to use the proper procedure for the WOT, and it's not just thrasing it a bit.
So no front tire burn outs? LOL

I have a 2017 Mazda CX-5, 2.5L It has 160,000 miles on it now. Where does the oil go between oil changes. I did an oil change yesterday an it was 2 qts. low before the change. This has been happening for a couple of years now. Does not smoke, no oil light, engine has never been overheated, runs great, no problems. Overactive PCV system? Could it be the oil or is it just a hot running engine. I change the oil regularly every 5000 miles. Using Super Tech 0-20 full syn. I know it’s not burning oil, did a spark plug change a few months ago. I don’t know if this is normal or not. Thanks
Are YOU sure your not --- gearoiltool??? Little fishy here again????

Back