Dipstick from [censored]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can never get a clear read from the oil dipstick on my 2013 Grand Caravan.

It is the flat metal variety with a hashed section marked "safe".

It can be inserted into the dipstick tube two ways (180 degrees from each other) with the hash markings and little bump facing the inside radius of the bend in the tube, or with them facing the outside radius of the bend. Either way, the oil seems to smear along the stick and as a result there is no clear line to indicate fill level, just a smear across the full scale.

I have a friend with a 2016 Grand Caravan and his is exactly the same. He has a hard time getting a good read from his too.

A Google search shows that many people are having difficulty with these pentastar dipsticks.

Is there some secret technique to getting a good dip from these sticks?!

I have a little trouble with my 2 dipsticks, though not Chryslers. I ensure they start wiped off, and then slowly dragged along the closest part of the tube to me to ensure the "read" side stays clean. I confirm by reading the back side as well as often the oil line is clearer on that side. Sometimes I have to do it 2-3 times to be sure I nailed it. The transmission dipstick on my Lincoln seems quite touchy compared to the oil dipsticks.

I would pull the dipstick out before firing up the engine. Let it run for a minute or 2 and then check. I find Chryslers are easy to read when cold.

I drill three small holes (~1/16"D) in my dipsticks to make reading easier, at full, 1/2 and add. The dipsticks are usually spring steel, so a carbide drill is needed.

Lucky guys. My car does not have Motor Oil or ATF Dip stick. You have to check Motor oil while the car is on flat surface and run through the computer menu. I normally do it in morning's when car is sitting in the garage. ATF needs to be done at dealer.

I too have a 2013 Dodge Grand Caravan. I never noticed this issue, though I definitely have on other vehicles. I do typically check the oil on a cold engine though.

Might it be possible to use a piece of say PVC tubing as a sleeve to protect the dipsticks from wipe off
?

Originally Posted By: 2016Accord
I can never get a clear read from the oil dipstick on my 2013 Grand Caravan.

It is the flat metal variety with a hashed section marked "safe".

It can be inserted into the dipstick tube two ways (180 degrees from each other) with the hash markings and little bump facing the inside radius of the bend in the tube, or with them facing the outside radius of the bend. Either way, the oil seems to smear along the stick and as a result there is no clear line to indicate fill level, just a smear across the full scale.

I have a friend with a 2016 Grand Caravan and his is exactly the same. He has a hard time getting a good read from his too.

A Google search shows that many people are having difficulty with these pentastar dipsticks.

Is there some secret technique to getting a good dip from these sticks?!

bad design

My 2004 Mazda 3 dipstick gave me heart failure shortly after I bought the car. I always check my oil after the car has sat overnight. First pull, it didn't register any oil at all. Re-stick and pull, and it reads to the top of the range. Never figured out how that happened, but it was consistent every Saturday morning. Air bubble trapped in the dipstick tube after driving?

Dipsticks in my sister's RAV4 and my buddy's Corolla are nearly impossible to get a consistent reading after an oil change or after adding oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back