Dino with best cold starting properties?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My neighbor that will not pay for synthetic oil asked me to help him change his oil for winter. I tried to get him to use QSUD at $20.00 but he wouldn't go for it. His car sits outside and we see some 0 degree cold starts. Looking for recommendations on a 5w-20 Dino with the best cold flow properties. The car is a 2009 Hyundai Sonata I4 with 36k miles. I'll use an OE oil filter.

Last edited:
Try selling him on ConocoPhillips flagship 5W20 Kendall syn blend with titanium at approx. $3.70/quart.

Perhaps he would accept the tradeoffs of a blend, titanium, and reasonable price and Kendall's kissin-cousin formulation similarity with the fine Honda & Motorcraft oils.

Originally Posted By: wymi516
My neighbor that will not pay for synthetic oil asked me to help him change his oil for winter. I tried to get him to use QSUD at $20.00 but he wouldn't go for it. His car sits outside and we see some 0 degree cold starts. Looking for recommendations on a 5w-20 Dino with the best cold flow properties. The car is a 2009 Hyundai Sonata I4 with 36k miles. I'll use an OE oil filter.

Realistically if you can get QSUD for $20 then he'll only be saving $2-$4 for a 5 qt jug of a blend or a "dino" of decent oil. Especially starting in those starting temps, "Penny wise and dollar foolish" as the saying goes. I've had great success with Motorcraft 5W-20 in my F-150 which sits outdoors, but it costs over $18/5 qt jug at WM. Our winters here in NW NJ can be below zero. I'd get the filter with the best ADBV available. Having oil in the oil filter in the cold of winter is real important to rapid lubrication to avoid "dry starts".

Whimsey

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Hallmark
Try selling him on ConocoPhillips flagship 5W20 Kendall syn blend with titanium at approx. $3.70/quart.

Perhaps he would accept the tradeoffs of a blend, titanium, and reasonable price and Kendall's kissin-cousin formulation similarity with the fine Honda & Motorcraft oils.

+1

Haven't seen the spec sheets in a while, but IIRC Pennz had the best low temp stats of a group tested. You might want to search on the site, there is a study, but how recent I dunno.
Good advice on the Conoco syn blend. Best results I had, although seat of the pants, was MC and Phillips 66 syn blend. Family tested in high milers left out in the cold on the street.

Thanks to all so far. A little more info. My neighbor has been paying the local Hyundai dealer $29.99 for oil & filter changes. Not horrible but he wants to save some cash and do it at home, I'm the free labor. His goal was to do it for $20.00. An OE Hyundai filter is $7.00, leaves me $13.00 for oil. My suggestion was PYB at $15.47, a little over his budget but it's what I felt comfortable recommending. Any other Dino oil to consider besides the PYB in that price range for winter? How does VWB or QSGB stack up against PYB for winter use?

Is the Hyundai filter a super-duper special ?
Lot of price variance open if the filter is negotiable.

How about a filter that costs a little less? A PureOne should be good enough, and they're usually available for less than $7.

You tend to get what you pay for with engine oils, but if he wants long term cold start protection I would just use any known brand on special offer and then use the funds saved to buy an extension cable and cheap stick on sump heaters.
For most cars the cost of the electricity is similar to the fuel saving from reduced warm up time, BUT the reduction in cold start wear is better than switching to a top of the class full synthetic.

sell him your used synthetic for a dollar a quart, geez your neighbor wont get off 20.00 for an oil change that only needs doing twice a year, 20.00 wont even buy him a half tank of gas.

He already bought 3 Hyundai oil filters, that covers him for a years worth of changes. He is looking to make up the difference in the oil. If everyone agrees I'll just use the PYB 5w-20. That puts him at about $23.00. I'll recommend the Purolator filter for the next round of changes. Do the basic Purolator filters have a silicone ADBV?

Originally Posted By: coolbird101
sell him your used synthetic for a dollar a quart, geez your neighbor wont get off 20.00 for an oil change that only needs doing twice a year, 20.00 wont even buy him a half tank of gas.

If he is not spending too much time stuck in traffic, then extending the OCI to 5K miles should be considered. The OEM oil filter might be good for 10K miles, but DYOR by checking on the Castrol or Liqui Moly oil finder guides and the Hyundai German web site to see what the OCI limit is in the EU, as that will let you know how long the OEM oil filter lasts, as it might be possible to be alternate oil only changes with a good filter.

This is the German info, but not sure if the engine is correct:
Engine THETA 2.0
Capacity : Capacity 4,1 liter

· Use : Normal
· Intervals : Change 15000 km (9300 miles) / 12 months
Top Tec 4200 5W-30
Top Tec 4600 5W-30
Longtime High Tech 5W-30

· Use : Severe
· Intervals : Change 7500 km / 6 months

The oils listed are not ultra expensive full synthetics but HC or part synthetics.
I would say the cheapest OCI would be alternate oil only changes at 5K miles and full service at 10K miles with an OEM filter, but do check that it is the same filter as is used in the EU, otherwise use a Mobil 1 or Amsoil extended life filter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sir1900
Do the basic Purolator filters have a silicone ADBV?

Nope. The PC have nitrile ADBV. P1 uses silicone ADBV.

What do the P1's go for?

Thanks to all so far. A little more info. My neighbor has been paying the local Hyundai dealer $29.99 for oil & filter changes. Not horrible but he wants to save some cash and do it at home, I'm the free labor. His goal was to do it for $20.00. An OE Hyundai filter is $7.00, leaves me $13.00 for oil. My suggestion was PYB at $15.47, a little over his budget but it's what I felt comfortable recommending. Any other Dino oil to consider besides the PYB in that price range for winter? How does VWB or QSGB stack up against PYB for winter use?
Mobil is the cheapest name brand at our Walmart.

yep steveh , MS5k would be a good choice for this budget. Great Dino oil for the money . A fellow bitoger on here runs his MS5k to 8k+ mile oci's and his truck is doing just fine.

QS Green Bottle 5W-20 is 4700cp @-30.

If you can get it, Petro-Canada Supreme 5W-20 is 4600cp @-30.

2 lowest oils I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back