Dino oil for 12 month OCI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey folks, a question for the forum...on my old Porsche I change the oil once a year (drive it less than 3000 miles a year). I've always used synthetics but recently i had some work done on it by a local shop and they filled it with Castrol GTX 20w-50. That's a perfectly acceptable oil by owner's manual specs, but I wonder if a dino oil is ok in there for a year. (For neutralizing acid and all that). The Porsche community is divided on use of dino oils in air cooled engines, but back when the car was new it was ok so I'm not really worried about that. Thoughts?

in reality most "synthetics" are dino oils, group III mineral oils are just processed more! if you DON't do short trips or TRY starting your car in cold weather 20-50 dino is prolly ok. i would likely use at least Mobil I 15-50 for quicker cold flow + better engine protection. cheap at some Wally's or ordered in!!

Last edited:
Re: dino for a year - I change every two years on my low use car (Chevelle) regardless of the oil I am using (syn or dino). I have stored previously owned muscle cars for several years with dino in the crankcase with no ill effects.

It will be just fine. My first Porsche was a 1991, C2. Nice taste you have! I ran some Castrol dino 20w50 at first, but quickly switched to Mobil 1 15w50 racing and only changed the oil every 2/3 years. It was garaged in southern California, and drivin only for fun, canyon, beach, or showin off to the wife.

No worries just get the oil up to operating temperature, when you go for your cruise. And try to keep short trips minimal.

I had been using M1 15w-50 for the last several years but since they put in the 20w-50 i wasnt especially thrilled to dump out 10 brand new quarts. I used edge 5w-50 for a couple of years but it is quieter with the M1. It stays in the garage and never sees really low temps.
I thought about trying out the Porsche A40 stuff in xw-40 but i remembered an '86 Audi I had that protested mightily when i didnt use 20w-50!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back