dimestore oil is really the best?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm interested to know how it is that Havoline, Trop Artic and other such brands seem to have better base stocks and better additives compared to the bigger names such as Castrol, Valvoline, Pennzoil, etc.. ???

I realize they don't advertise, but I'm one that feels if this stuff is so **** good, I wan't to see an advertisment on this stuff. Havoline this, Havoline that, but I'd like to see just one commercial for the #1 conventional oil on BITOG.

So I also here that the major brands have less add packs due to high advertising costs? Can this be true.?

Really nice beer isn't advertised but budweiser is.

Same thing.

When I was a kid, I thought Havoline was trying to cash in on a name that sounds like "Valvoline". That it was distributed through family dollar didn't help any.

I've found that advertising just makes oil more expensive (or is attached to an oil to make it "premium"); it is all good enough. Mobil has had a blitz lately with the new line of oils because it's something they consider revolutionary and worth educating the public about.

You'll see oil ads during Nascar on TV; they reach more viewers that care about such things then. There are even some cute ads for Fram oil filters, where the guy leaves greasy hand prints everywhere.
grin.gif

Walmart has proven that tropartic will sell for $1.20-1.30 alongside dollar tree's $1 price; dollar stores have really been hobbled by higher oil prices and most won't sell quarts of any brand for $1 anymore except possibly nasty unrated nondetergent sludge.

quote:

Originally posted by mossad:
I'm interested to know how it is that Havoline, Trop Artic and other such brands seem to have better base stocks and better additives compared to the bigger names such as Castrol, Valvoline, Pennzoil, etc.. ???

I realize they don't advertise, but I'm one that feels if this stuff is so **** good, I wan't to see an advertisment on this stuff. Havoline this, Havoline that, but I'd like to see just one commercial for the #1 conventional oil on BITOG.

So I also here that the major brands have less add packs due to high advertising costs? Can this be true.?

I wish our dimestore carried Havoline.
mad.gif
Recycled is the "name of the tune" here at the 5/10.
crushedcar.gif

Havoline used to advertise heavily back in the early-mid 90s. They even used to sponsor a Nascar back then too.

Why they couldn't pick a name that wasn't so close to Valvoline is beyond me.

quote:

Originally posted by 99:
Havoline used to advertise heavily back in the early-mid 90s. They even used to sponsor a Nascar back then too.

Why they couldn't pick a name that wasn't so close to Valvoline is beyond me.

They still do. The 28 car driven by Jamie McMurray's primary sponsor is Havoline.

Didn't they used to sponsor Andretti in the IRL? Maybe I should think of switching if I decide Pennzoil isn't spending enough of my money on IRL. I could hardly ask more of QS, but it hasn't been 20 years since I found a sludge problem using it. My brother told me QS was the problem. He had problems with it in the 50's.

What difference does it make who sells it and for what price? Havoline is as good or better than any, the price just makes it even better. If you've got a problem with it, use something else. How long can you drag a chain?

quote:

Originally posted by farrarfan1:
Originally posted by 99:
[qb] Havoline used to advertise heavily back in the early-mid 90s. They even used to sponsor a Nascar back then too.
Since I'm anonymous, and therefore nobody could trace back my friends to find out who told me this, and it's been over a decade since this was reported to me to have happened...here's an interesting tidbit. One of the crewmembers of a Havoline racing team told me they used to pour the Havoline out and replace the oil in the Havoline containers with a Pennzoil product. They did it because the engine failures they were having were supposedly blamed on the Havoline. As soon as they did this, the engines lasted the entire race. On that bit of advice, I always thought Havoline was inferior.

Now that I've been better educated by BITOG, I realize that even if this statement was true, the oil they use in Racing Engines isn't what we use in car engines. Very different set of requirements for satisfactory results.

I have two 5 quart jugs of Havoline SM 5W30 right now in my garage waiting to go into a 2005 2.5l Subaru engine. I think it will do just fine in my non-racing engine.

Havoline is as good as any other dino and they do sponsor race cars such as Chip Ganassi's #28 in Nascar. I thought I remember hearing that Chevron was able to sell their products cheaper because they sold a certain technology to the other brands and thus the other brands cost more since they had to buy it from ChevronTexaco.

I wonder what "certain technology" Havoline uses that was sold to other companies?
I'm interested to know.

IMHO it's bc CheveronTexaco makes their own baseoils and owns Oronite, their additive division. Same can be said with Mobil 1 and Infineum. I think they have an "economy of scale" advantage over some of the others. BUT, overall, I agree with Blue99 in that most oils are all the same generally speaking.

Buster,
I agree, Blue99 has a point. It almost makes any futher discussion of which oil is better a pointless topic of discussion.

quote:

I wonder what "certain technology" Havoline uses that was sold to other companies?
I'm interested to know.

Chevron Corp. licenses their proprietary hydrocracking technology to other refiners. It's a nice source of continuing income - the company makes money selling its own Chevron Supreme and Havoline brands, and makes money when its licensees sell theirs. (Wherever did you get the idea that Havoline's additive package is "weak"? Certainly not off the VOAs here at BITOG!)

I never said Havoline's add pack is weak. I made the comment in my opening of this discussion that Havoline's add pack is praised as being more robust compared to other brands such as Valvoline, Castrol, etc...
And I was wanting to know the reason that Havoline no longer advertises if their conventional oil is the best as everyone claims it is?

quote:

I never said Havoline's add pack is weak. I made the comment in my opening of this discussion that Havoline's add pack is praised as being more robust compared to other brands such as Valvoline, Castrol, etc...
And I was wanting to know the reason that Havoline no longer advertises if their conventional oil is the best as everyone claims it is?

Don't claim innocence now ..it's too late in the eye of board opinion. Now you'll only look defensively apoligetic.

Nope. You've thrown the gauntlet..crossed the line ....

Take your medicine....
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

lol.gif
As if further promting is neccesary?

quote:

Blue99
Many on this forum praise Havoline as so awsome, but they do say, "for the price", so basically, that statement in and of itself doesn't really mean it has the best add packs, it's just what it is..."for the price" it is better than the others, when in reality it may only be JUST AS GOOD. (???)

From what I have seen on reports here the add pack is better than more expensive oils like Valvoline AC and Castrol GTX. So you get more for less.
Not slamming the other products but Havoline beats them in percieved quality and price in my eye.

Oops... LOL!!! Yeah, I forgot about that statement. I stand corrected; however, I did pose it as a question as you can see by my 3 question marks in parinthesis.
hehehe...you guys are funny. Guess you got me
smile.gif

The edit lock, Gotta love it.
cheers.gif

Check the VOA forum. Once additive that I simplisticly like to see in an add pac (after loitering here way to often) is The friction modifier/AO/AW Moly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back