digital TV : you find it to be a farce ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got Cable in my neck of the woods, but had Satellite before that and it was Digital and offered very awesome service. Now with the cable I can watch a gazillion shows on-demand. I can even pause/play/stop live TV and/or record another channel while watching something. It's superb and I wouldn't trade it for my old service any day!
thumbsup2.gif

Frankly, I love it. We went from having about 5 channels to choose from where we camp, to 14 channels. The Indy 500 was perfect this year on the travel trailer TV. Stevie, I'm the exact opposite. Cable sucked, I went satellite 10 years ago, and haven't looked back. Currently have Dish, cheaper than Direct, same service.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: smokey1
not really impressed thus far . :- (

There's nothing worse than bad programming in crisp focus, with excellent color, and killer sound.
grin2.gif

our neck of the woods must be lagging then . It's cable through an H.D.T.V. and D.V.R. cable box hooked to a 32" L.C.D. tv with H.D.M.I. and component cable . We haven't had an NBC channel in H.D. for nearly six months now . Did get to watch the SUPERBOWL in H.D.. Then disappeared not long after . :- (

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: smokey1
our neck of the woods must be lagging then . It's cable through an H.D.T.V. and D.V.R. cable box hooked to a 32" L.C.D. tv with H.D.M.I. and component cable . We haven't had an NBC channel in H.D. for nearly six months now . Did get to watch the SUPERBOWL in H.D.. Then disappeared not long after . :- (

Why in the world would you have both HDMI and component cables hooking your cable box to the TV? You only need 1 of those. Preferably HDMI.

And what's with the periods? L.O.L.

Yeah it sure sucks. At my parents house they now get over 20 channels in full clarity, whereas they used to get about 3.5 on a good day.

BTW I find TV in general to be a farce. I gave up on cable last year, and I currently have NO channels. TV gets used for movies only. Nothing good on anyway.

i find digital great here. i only have SD but it is centuries ahead of analog. now i only need a dvd recorder or osmething

The boy's TV in his room is on a old outside antenna and he recieves digital on it and it is as good as the reception on my cable. He has more channels and a lot better picture than he had before.

We've got (sorta) digital, but at the fringes of reception.

Analog, you can sort of see/hear what's going on, even with poor signal.

Digital is great when it's working, but the stalling, chinking and shrieking are starting to wear on me.

I have basic cable, so (from what I hear) nothing much will change for me. Miss Linda still has an analog set, and has bought the converter box, but has never hooked it up (!). Normally that's no problem, since she usually just watches DVDs from the public library. But she is a big fan of "House" on Fox. Our local Fox station has already gone digital, so without the box hooked up she can't see the show.

What does she do to solve this? She comes over to my place and records the episode on VHS, then takes it back home to play in her VCR.

(I've told her that the mothership won't be back to this planet to pick her up for many years, so she's just going to have to adapt to the way we Terrans do things.)

The biggest issue with the digital broadcasts is when the reception is not very good. As someone mentioned above, with analog you can still figure out what is going on. With digital, the sound is lost then the picture freezes.

But other than that, I like the crisp HD pictures. The 480i SD broadcast are far better than the analog. I have compared them on our TV and the digital looks and sounds better (weather permitting).

Originally Posted By: CivicFan
The biggest issue with the digital broadcasts is when the reception is not very good. As someone mentioned above, with analog you can still figure out what is going on. With digital, the sound is lost then the picture freezes.

But other than that, I like the crisp HD pictures. The 480i SD broadcast are far better than the analog. I have compared them on our TV and the digital looks and sounds better (weather permitting).
Search YouTube for the Coat-Hanger HD antenna. It really works and works well!

I'm just mad that I can't use my little mini TV in the kitchen or handheld Casio TV that I bought for storms anymore. I got coupons and got converter boxes just in case I ever need them but I've never been without cable or satellite so it was a waste. I'm sure not going to plug a 6 inch TV into a converter. Wifey is stressing about the impending loss of "Inside Edition" during mealtime. We eat all our meals in a breakfast nook so not much room for converter boxes et al.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back