Different tires, same pressure?

Exactly. However it only means 'requires more inflation pressure'
when it requires in some applications. On many cars same pressures
are specced by the manufacturer for different load indices. For reasons.

so, I am still confused. Using the new tires on the same car, my 98 mustang coupe v/6 automatic trans., with the same load, do I still run the same 35psi that is shown on the tag on the door post or do I need more psi, for proper wear and handling, and if so how much more??

Were do you come up with this stuff? You don't even know the brand or model of tire.
The answer is tire load table. It is a standard that anybody who wants to sell tires in civilized countries adheres to.
Brand, model does not matter.
Tire size and weather it is SL, XL. That is all.

Krzyś

Well, I looked up those two different sizes for similar tires and they are BOTH load rated 94, 205/65/15: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...65TR5WCO&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes and 205/55/16: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...HR6WCUXL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes Only the speed rating is different.
Did you notice that one tire is SL (standard load) and the other is XL (extra load)?
They have the same max load but I think they achieve it at different pressures.

Krzyś

First I've seen or used, did I figure it right?

Screen Shot 2022-09-12 at 4.23.26 PM.jpg

Did you notice that one tire is SL (standard load) and the other is XL (extra load)?
They have the same max load but I think they achieve it at different pressures.
The question was load rating.
What are the load ratings?
They are both 94 tires. 1,477 pounds on either one. So what if they achieve it at different pressures? That's easy to adjust.

I notice that the max load for either of the tires is several hundred pounds more than what the tires are actually carrying at the recommended PSI. Would that mean that at my lower load, that I could run a lower pressure safely, to acheive a softer ride? Like the chart calls for 41 lbs, and maybe I could run 36?

I notice that the max load for either of the tires is several hundred pounds more than what the tires are actually carrying at the recommended PSI. Would that mean that at my lower load, that I could run a lower pressure safely, to acheive a softer ride? Like the chart calls for 41 lbs, and maybe I could run 36?

The listed pressure on the door jamb is considering max payload, a full load of people and luggage. If you are always using the vehicle alone or maybe with one passenger and little to no luggage, yes you can run a few pounds less safely. Audi for example actually lists two pressures in the owner's manual depending on payload.

You just have to remember to go back to the normal pressure spec if you ever load it up again.

You should really look at the loaded axle weight. it's a big hassle to set pressures every time the load changes, so max axle weight is a good starting point. getting XL tyres is not good if you wanted a softer ride as these require higher pressures to carry the same load. The inflation tables tell you what you need if you know the loads.

Also, inflation pressures need to go up if you intend to drive faster

Handling becomes sluggish aswell when underinflated. choices --> consequences.

You should really look at the loaded axle weight. it's a big hassle to set pressures every time the load changes, so max axle weight is a good starting point. getting XL tyres is not good if you wanted a softer ride as these require higher pressures to carry the same load. The inflation tables tell you what you need if you know the loads.

Also, inflation pressures need to go up if you intend to drive faster

Handling becomes sluggish aswell when underinflated. choices --> consequences.
When you say drive faster, what do you mean by that? I never drive over the speed limit, or is 75 considered faster? Also, I found these tires cheap, and wasn't up on all the spec's, so I guess kinda screwed up, but I will just live with it as best I can.

Back