Different between AW 46 hydraulic oil and tractor hydraulic

I built a log splitter over 35 years ago with 22 gpm pump that has been flawless.
It has split many hundreds of cords for myself and family members. It has been well maintained with fluid and filter changes which is approx 10~15 gallons.
I have a Ford 1720 tractor and also service and repair others so I always have 10~15 gallons of tractor supply tractor/hydraulic oil on hand.
My question is this;
Tractor hydraulic oil serves many functions in a tractor and is the correct weight.
It lubricated heavily loaded gears, cools brakes and is the fluid for the hydraulic system.
I've looked up fluid requirements for modern 2 stage pumps and it specifically states that tractor hydraulic oil is not to be used, AW46 is the recommended fluid.
What is the major difference here.
Thanks 90cummins

Tractor fluid has friction modifiers for the clutches, which detracts from the performance for anti-wear. Us hydraulic pump and motor guys will always prefer a hydraulic fluid for best component life. Choose the proper grade based on your temperature range you plan on using it. What pump are you using?

If this is just a log splitter...I would use a AW hydraulic fluid hands down over a tractor fluid.

Last edited:
Back