Difference in snow tire tread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know the importance of running all snows on your vehicle but what I would like to know is how important is it for them to have matching tread. I have a new pair of (winterforce snows) and can buy a almost new pair of ( blizzack snows) for $40. They both have very good tread on them but (understandably) have different tread patterns, Can or will this affect handling? ( they always say to put the pair with the deeper tred in the rear) but in this case both pair are so close in tred depth that it's not going to really matter which is on the front or rear, I just dont know if having different tred will effect how the cay handles. thanks

4 tires identical on all 4 corners.

Say you put those 2 tiers on the rear of the car, and because of the different compound used in different temps the rear tread may be stiffer or softer, and as a result if you are ever taking a sharp turn less traction will result in a spin out which is why you want them to be the same.

Also all new winter tires use a special compound for the first 45-55% of the tire, then the rest is just the old rubber stuff... so if they are anywhere near half mark worn, stay away, go buy new stuff.

I drive a RWD Caddy, which was an embarrassing car in the snow with the all seasons... then a set of new Blizzak WS50s and now its like a tank, literally, it outaccelarates any other car with all season tires, even AWD cars on fresh snow, and outbrakes them too...
Not that long ago I raced a Tahoe, from a start on fresh powder and kept even with him until around 30mph and then walked away from him... he was shocked.

On my other car FWD Dodge Neon I am running Hankook i-Pike W409 and that made a world of a difference too.

Now I think my whole family wants winter tires having sampled the difference themselves.

You will be fine with 2 different sets of Winter tires. I have 3 vehicles & each has 2 Winter tires on the drive axel(Blizzack/Winter Dueller). The other 2 on each vehicle are 'all season'. Will any tire manufacturer recommend this set-up? NO. Do I go a whole lot better than 4 all season tires? YES. Do I drive like a race driver in the snow? NO.

I know they want to sell 4 tires. I know 4 winter tires are better than 2. I also know 2 are much better than zero. You will be fine with the 2 types of winter tires, drive safely. Quality winter tires are very important with me & the family. YMMV.

Originally Posted By: Catera
4 tires identical on all 4 corners.

Say you put those 2 tiers on the rear of the car, and because of the different compound used in different temps the rear tread may be stiffer or softer, and as a result if you are ever taking a sharp turn less traction will result in a spin out which is why you want them to be the same.

Also all new winter tires use a special compound for the first 45-55% of the tire, then the rest is just the old rubber stuff... so if they are anywhere near half mark worn, stay away, go buy new stuff.

Now I think my whole family wants winter tires having sampled the difference themselves.

Agree with the first part, but two different winter compounds at either end are far far better than winters on one end and all seasons on the other. If you must do that, the 'experts' say put them on the back to avoid oversteer, which is much harder to gain control of than understeer.

The part about 45-55% being special compound - only the Blizzak is like that as far as I know, not all winter tires.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rcy
The part about 45-55% being special compound - only the Blizzak is like that as far as I know, not all winter tires.

Yup! Which is why my next set of winters/snows will be Nokians, NOT B-stones!

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

Yup! Which is why my next set of winters/snows will be Nokians, NOT B-stones!

The Blizzaks used to have the top 50% of the tread being their multicell winter compound with the bottom 50% being all-season rubber. The newer Blizzaks have the bottom 50% being a normal winter (non-multicell) rubber.

Only certain Blizzaks are that way, usually their "Studless Snow/Ice" models.

Also, Dunlop does the dual layers with their Graspic DS-2.

Personally, I rather go buy a matching pair of Winterforce tires.

Buy the tires! I have altimax on front, artic claws on back and my car's a tank in snow.

I just drove from the Northern U.P. of MI to S. of Milwaukee. I saw plenty of folks in the ditch(& worse) who would of really appreciated the traction of dedicated snow tires. It only takes a few trips like that to pay for the cost of the tires. The almost new 'Winter Duellers' performed great. I had to go with this time frame & 1/2 the way was a weather advisory & part a full blown weather warning.

The Blizzaks likely have more traction in most winter driving conditions, so I'd put them in back. You might set yourself up for a bit of oversteer on warmer dry pavement, but I doubt it would be too dramatic.

I just picked up a set of Blizzak ws 60. Once I install them, I'll see how well they handle.

IMG_4062s.jpg

Originally Posted By: Snafu
I just picked up a set of Blizzak ws 60. Once I install them, I'll see how well they handle.

They feel like marshmallows, but the traction cant be beat. I have no traction control, just open differential RWD car. I did not even put any weight in back. Any time I had trouble going I would put it in 2nd and ease into it. That rear tire would spin but it had enough traction to get me going on packed snow up a slight incline.

Snafu, I think you will come to really like those Blizzacks, they can be a real lifesaver in the Winter. The wife was in the motor city last weekend & borrowed her Dad's truck. I warned her not to expect the truck to drive like our Blizzack equipped vehicles. She said his tires & traction were for S***. She told her dad he should get better(Winter tires). He said he was retired & didn't have to go out when the weather was bad.

I personally would only go with 4 matching tires. As mentioned above, different handling characteristics is not what you want. You want them ideally to all be the same.

I have 4 General Altimax Arctics on my Sat and I could not be happier. They shed snow like nothing else. Awesome tires. (Looks like they share tread design with NordFrost tires too!)

On dry pavement and snow there will likely be little difference.

However on ice Blizzacks are superior tires. Winterforce's are no better than a decent all-season on ice. You will cause an imbalance of traction when braking or cornering on ice. My advice if FWD keep the Blizzacks on the rear to keep rear end from swinging around.

Not that long ago I raced a Tahoe, from a start on fresh powder and kept even with him until around 30mph and then walked away from him...

racing in the snow...wow...

Originally Posted By: zrxkawboy
Not that long ago I raced a Tahoe, from a start on fresh powder and kept even with him until around 30mph and then walked away from him...

racing in the snow...wow...

Yes, maybe, but the Scoobie and Evo boyz do it all the time!! (Sometimes even on those semi-slick stock tires that come on the STI/Evo models!!
shocked2.gif
)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back