difference between diesel and gas engine oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I've run Case(construction equipment) 15W40 engine oil in my truck for a few years, with no apparent problems. I've quite recently switched to John Deere 15W40 plus 50 in both my truck and my wife's car- mainly because I've started working at a john deere dealership and get leftovers for free. My question is: Is there a significant difference between oil designed for gasoline engines as opposed to oil designed for diesel engines? If so, what's the difference? Am I dooming my ford 300 I-6 and my wife's 3.1L V-6 to an early grave?

A feller I worked with at case told me once that he thought the "ash content" was the main difference, and that running diesel oil in a gas engine isn't good. Obviously, I didn't put too much stock in that... anybody know for sure?

Diesel oil has more detergent. Your engines will be fine, but the oil might get dark kinda fast because it cleans out stuff that the old oil left behind. I'd use it
wink.gif

Dipstick01
burnout.gif

I am interested in the difference also. I am using delo 400 in my sons mazda with excellent results so far. It is SL rated so I believe it
is fine but I do wonder what the main difference is other than more detergent or additive package.
I have also heard it is the ash content and ash is suppose to be a bad thing to have in oil. I hope the oil experts on this site can share more insite.

While I don't think it is "bad" (we are talking SL oils here, right?), I also don't think it is "ideal". Yes, the ash content is usually higher in diesel oil which results in more deposits left in the combustion chamber when burnt.

[ August 26, 2003, 02:23 PM: Message edited by: Chris A ]

quote:

Originally posted by iskerbibel:
Ok, I've run Case(construction equipment) 15W40 engine oil in my truck for a few years, with no apparent problems. I've quite recently switched to John Deere 15W40 plus 50 in both my truck and my wife's car-
snip

I donno about that Oil for sure but JD has some fine oils. As long as it is approved for Gas you should be fine.

But I too would like to know the Major things different between Diesel and Gasoline oils...

John Deer Plus-50 is gasoline rated as well. my JD catalog is a couple of years old. at that time it was a CH-4/SJ. There Mexican product is API certified as CI-4/SL.
Ash content is nothing wo worry about. there are some high ash oils around, but usually in railroad or other applications with a high TBN.
I use Delo in a number of gasoline engines as well as my diesels with no deposits or other problems. I like the higher zinc and phos contents for higher protection

quote:

Originally posted by widman:
--snip--
there are some high ash oils around, but usually in railroad or other applications with a high TBN.
I use Delo in a number of gasoline engines as well as my diesels with no deposits or other problems. I like the higher zinc and phos contents for higher protection

Well yes as long as it's approved. I've been using one that is a Diesel Oil, approved for Gas, for hundreds of thousands of miles and it has a higher ash than normal gas.

I was not aware of an railroad locomotive engine oil was hi in ash. Say How often do they change their oil? I know they have always had problems with their oils, none really work the way they are suppose to, course that's with the diesel not turbine. Anyone know how much oil they burn per day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back