Dif between GL-5 fluid of two dif GM numbers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all

Am making a separate post as kinda dif topic, but I needed to get some GL-5 75W-90 rear axle fluid for my 1995 GM G20 van with a G80 differential in it.

In reading many places it looked like the GM number for their fluid that was posted in many places for this axle and with that differential was under GM P/N: 89021677

In looking around this fluid seems to be a 75W-90, GL-5, Synthetic oil, has the grape scent and is in a 32 FL OZ container.

Other thing is though, in most cases, goes for about $30.00 per bottle which by as I need 67.2 FL OZ, least by the factory shop manual, would need about 3 of these so talking almost $100.00.

Now in going to my local AC Delco place, they had a number of 10-4016 for a fluid of all the same specs and other stuff I just mention above, and coming home looked up the number and is a GM number of 88900401.

Nice thing was, at my Delco guy, was $18.00 a quart bottle.

About the only dif I see is that it looks like the Delco fluid is in kinda a dif container which is more labeled like the Delco fluids you see. But aside from that, don't see anything diff of the specs.

Anyway, just thought I would make a post and see if anyone knows if there is anything dif about the Delco fluid over the GM stuff.

Thanks for any help.

The "grape juice" (as it's commonly referred to) is made to GM spec #9986115. That is for a syn 75w-90 GL-5 fluid with LS additive. It performed decently in the famous Amsoil paper, but it's silly expensive and not really worth it (my opinion) when there are so many other options out there that will do well for far less money.

I suspect any GL-5 rated fluid would work just fine for your application. You may or may not need LS additive depending upon the type traction control system you may have.

Last edited:
I have run castrol 75-90 in my g80 locker for 60000 mi under harsh conditions no problems . I refuse to pay 30 $ a qt. My dealer refills difs with the castrol.this is the synthetic.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back