Diesel in Delaware only 20 cents more than regular

The price difference between diesel and regular seems to have dropped and diesel is now only 20 cents more than regular and less than premium.

It's spring and the heating season is pretty much over. That may be part of if. I also suspect more and more people are moving away from oil heat to a heat pump or propane. I think oil heat is mostly in the northeast.

When I lived in the Norheast - in Maryland - heating oil was the most common heating method.

Aren't you in the northeast? I mean, I consider Virginia northward, northeast. And NC southward southeast.
I consider DE to be more central than north or south.

I think most people around here have propane if they don't have natural gas. Or a heat pump. With few basements and buried oil tanks a disaster waiting I am thinking most people never got into oil heat much around here in DE. I would hate to have an ugly outside oil tank.

When I lived in the Norheast - in Maryland - heating oil was the most common heating method.
I'll bet that's changing. In NY where I was when people needed a new boiler they would switch to propane. Might not have done the switch just to get to a cleaner fuel, but at some point people need to replace their boiler.

I'll bet that's changing. In NY where I was when people needed a new boiler they would switch to propane. Might not have done the switch just to get to a cleaner fuel, but at some point people need to replace their boiler.
That is true. As newer homes with newer heat systems are built and the current older home's oil systems fail they are mostly replaced by heat pumps and such the demand for oil has decreased. My old neighborhood still has a lot of oil burning homes still as there are still 2-3 oil companies still in business. I've been in the deep south the last 20 yrs so I have not seen an oil burner for the longest.

Normal price cycling over the years. Great if you own a diesel as the few advantages of diesel include improved fuel economy was completely erased.

It was a very mild winter here. I bet everyone's got it stockpiled.

I run a three-way split between cord wood, #2 oil, and my heat pump. My own oil use was maybe in the low 200 gallons instead of 400-500 per year like in the old days.

Gas is way up here. diesel is slightly lower than normal

We had 2.50 gas last year now its 3.70

Right now some stations are over 4.70 for premium.

It's interesting that diesel costs a fair bit more than gas here in the US. I just got back from a trip to Europe last week, and in Germany diesel is quite a bit cheaper than gasoline (roughly 1.70 Euros per liter versus about 2.10 Euros per liter). I was glad for it, as my rental car was diesel and got well over 40 miles per gallon (about 5.5 liters per 100 km) while I had it.

Back