Diesel gelling

So, what temps will modern #1 and 2 diesel fuel gel at? I’ve researched it and seems the consensus is 32-34F. What temp will off road diesel fuel gel at? I’m no diesel expert and want to know more so near with me.

Thank You

Usually the refineries have a winter blend of Diesel. Which isn't the answer you were looking for.

It totally depends on what the jobber who delivered it to the station makes it. Off road and on road can both be made to resist the same amount of cold, it just depends on how they are blended before delivery. Other than the dye they start out the same. Here in MI they will blend based on forecasted lows for the next few weeks.
We tried to get the drivers to add Power service when it got really cold (Back when I was working) and we never had any gel issues. We did have a really good fuel service though.

Cloud points and gelling will occur at various temps depending on the ratio of additive and #1 along with bio and #2. Somewhere between Zero and -38
Different jobbers and delivery companies have varied degrees of what is appropriate. Grossly speaking all is good as long as one doesn’t go over triple treat. Generally, rack ratios are a bare minimum, from there good jobbers will add a premium additive, such as Schaeffers, to lower the gel point substantially. Some will add #1 and or a combo of #1 and additive. Poor jobbers or penny pinchers will add little. Always a good idea to add a dose when cold weather presents itself.

FYI, here are a couple of excerpts from Colonial Pipeline specs. I think it is unusual that a jobber would blend diesel, since it is EPA regulated. They may add pour point depressant.

SPECIFICATIONS FOR FUNGIBLE 500 ppm SULFUR LOCOMOTIVE MARINE DIESEL FUEL DYED
Pour Point –August 1st through March 14th Maximum: -18o C (-0.4o F). Pour Point – March 15th through July 31st Maximum: -12o C (10.4o F) Cloud Point – August 1st through March 14th Maximum: -9o C (15.8o F) Cloud Point – March 15th through July 31st Maximum: -7o C (19.4o F)

This is also good for Heating oil, which can be off road diesel.

SPECIFICATIONS FOR FUNGIBLE 15 ppm SULFUR DIESEL FUEL GRADE 62
Pour Point –August 1st through March 14th Maximum: -18o C (-0.4o F). Pour Point – March 15th through July 31st Maximum: -12o C (10.4o F) Cloud Point – August 1st through March 14th Maximum: -9o C (15.8o F) Cloud Point – March 15th through July 31st Maximum: -7o C (19.4o F)

They move more fuel than anyone, and these are their minimum specs for basically all diesel range distillates.

Most Gulf coast refineries will manufacture to these specs since most ship on Colonial (or Plantation) to get to North/East markets.

Question for folks that have tractors, etc they use on their property: what do you folks do to prevent felling? Thank You all

Question for folks that have tractors, etc they use on their property: what do you folks do to prevent felling? Thank You all
Power Service white bottle here in the mountains of northern Vermont.

Full disclosure: I may be paranoid but a frozen fuel line or gelled filter can ruin my day and has in the past. Thus I double-dose the fuel treatment. I read somewhere that the point of diminishing returns is just above a double dose, so that’s as far as I go.

I realize it’s a compromise, that it does several things decently but doesn’t excel with any particular feature (as the video above agrees with), but it’s available everywhere locally to me and it works. Been using it for about ten years now and never had a problem even at 20 below zero before wind chill. We regularly see temperatures hover around zero for weeks at a time during winter, and the PS has never let me down.

Earlier this season my wife picked up a Lucas product because the PS was out of stock. Lucas was in a clear bottle. It wasn’t too cold out yet but I can report that Lucas did its job. Temps roughly in the 20s-30s at that time.

Reactions: a5m
What I run staring in November till spring Tundra Max not all Kwik trips offer it but if you can find it boy it makes a difference when temps get below 0F.
26881A37-7B53-4F73-86FC-31CA91C7208E.jpeg

FWIW @53' Stude bio diesel has a higher cloud point than non biodiesel. It’s getting harder to find non biodiesel these days. The cloud point means the wax starts to drop out of the fuel and increases the risk of gelling.

My routine is I start treating my Ram in October/November with Howe’s. Usually around this time the stations in Iowa switch to winter blend which drops the cloud point and they add treatment. I’ve also not seen #1 diesel in these parts along I-80. When I go north to Minnesota I see #1.

I prefer Howe’s over Power Service. I gelled once on PS back in 2019. This is personal preference just like oil brands and any other product.

Just my $0.02

This was the temperature on my property the other night, the lowest I’ve seen in years, and that’s before wind chill. PS white bottle double dosed in the system and had zero issues:

34FA3F3A-2D20-4C9A-A455-61B1F09EA9AD.jpg

This was the temperature on my property the other night, the lowest I’ve seen in years, and that’s before wind chill. PS white bottle double dosed in the system and had zero issues:

View attachment 139418

not sure if your comment about windchill is related to fuel gelling. Windchill is for humans only. Inanimate objects don’t care about windchill.

FWIW I gelled using PS at -37F in 2019 with a double shot. That’s why I switched to Howe’s.

Just my $0.02

So, what temps will modern #1 and 2 diesel fuel gel at? I’ve researched it and seems the consensus is 32-34F. What temp will off road diesel fuel gel at? I’m no diesel expert and want to know more so near with me.

Thank You
#2 ULSD: has maximum cloud points during the winter seasons based on the average temperatures. Based on some testing done winter, I've seen cloud points as low as -15F and as high as +24F, it depends on the geographical location and refinery supplying the terminal. To your point about the consensus of 32-34F, this is highly unlikely the waxes in diesel will start to cause issues. However, water's freeze point is 32F. And EVERY gallon of diesel fuel contains water. So treating at least when temps get down below 32F is going to help prevent water from freezing.

#1 ULSD: typically has a cloud point of -40F or below. At least in the areas that use #1 ULSD.

Telling you the temperature that off-road diesel will gel at is difficult without knowing what part of the country you are in. It is the exact same as #2 ULSD in all characteristics except for color so wouldn't matter if Clear or Dyed. But if you are able to give me a general area of the country, I could help determine the temperature issues could begin with/without an additive. Also, if you could provide if you are a farmer, O/O, have a fleet, etc., that would be great as well.

*Information explanation:
- Cloud Point: The temperature at which the waxes in diesel fuel will begin their crystallization process and the fuel will become visually 'cloudy.' In most cases, the higher the cloud point means the more waxes there are, the lower the cloud point, the lower the waxes. More wax in a diesel fuel typically means the more chance for winter issues unless properly treated with an additive.

#2 ULSD: has maximum cloud points during the winter seasons based on the average temperatures. Based on some testing done winter, I've seen cloud points as low as -15F and as high as +24F, it depends on the geographical location and refinery supplying the terminal. To your point about the consensus of 32-34F, this is highly unlikely the waxes in diesel will start to cause issues. However, water's freeze point is 32F. And EVERY gallon of diesel fuel contains water. So treating at least when temps get down below 32F is going to help prevent water from freezing.

#1 ULSD: typically has a cloud point of -40F or below. At least in the areas that use #1 ULSD.

Telling you the temperature that off-road diesel will gel at is difficult without knowing what part of the country you are in. It is the exact same as #2 ULSD in all characteristics except for color so wouldn't matter if Clear or Dyed. But if you are able to give me a general area of the country, I could help determine the temperature issues could begin with/without an additive. Also, if you could provide if you are a farmer, O/O, have a fleet, etc., that would be great as well.

*Information explanation:
- Cloud Point: The temperature at which the waxes in diesel fuel will begin their crystallization process and the fuel will become visually 'cloudy.' In most cases, the higher the cloud point means the more waxes there are, the lower the cloud point, the lower the waxes. More wax in a diesel fuel typically means the more chance for winter issues unless properly treated with an additive.
I’m not a farmer or fleet or owner. Just wondered this was all

Thank You sir

Back