Dielectric grease vs silicone grease

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are these basically the same thing and interchangeable for most auto applications such as plug wires etc? I normally get those packets of dielectric at the auto parts counter, use the tiny bit I need and toss the rest, which got me to thinking should I just go ahead and use the silicone grease I already have. It's not a money thing, more of a why buy more of what I already have thing.

I think Silicone grease would usually be for inert lubricant like valves in food equipment.

put a short line of both of them on a paper and use an Ohmmeter to see if they both measure infinite resistance. Comparatively If you hold a probe in each hand you usually will get some mega-ohms.

My silicone paste says it serve as a dielectric compound on low voltage electrical parts where arching and oxidation may occur.
I`m using it on battery terminals and no problem so far.

Motorcraft XG3A is a dielectric silicone grease for multiple applications. I would expect other quality products would function similar.

The silicone grease I have is this PTFE stuff made by Finish Line Technologies and rebranded or a major pool equipment company here in Phoenix. Since I have a bunch of pool equipment I always have a ton of this grease on hand, which got me to wondering about in on spark plug boots. Like a lot of rebranded products it's hard to find many specs on it specifically as it relates to dielectric properties. I'm guessing it's just fine since it'll actually only be on the ceramic insulator/boot contact area and not all over the leads. Do I want to use without knowing for sure? Not so sure about that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back