What Benefit Does Dielectric Grease Provide !.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
It may have been covered here already, but I'll hit a few high points again.

Typically, the "grease" that is included with new spark plug wire sets is of the silicone variety. It is very commonly used in many different fields of high voltage work(my occupation, BTW). Keep in mind that silicone lubes are not detrimental to products that contain natural rubber which I believe is present in some plug wire boots. ( natural rubber and rubber compounds of some types are of course very good electrical insulators) In this instance, the small pack of silicone grease included with new plug wires is meant to be used sparingly on the inside of the plug boot and SHOULD NOT be allowed to come into contact with the top of the spark plug itself, or the connector area of the plug wire that is innermost in the boot. Allowing that to happen is about the same as wrapping the top of the spark plug with a thin layer of insulating tape and then making the connection. Silicone grease is a very good insulator.
On the other side of the coin, the "grease" or compound found inside of many automotive connections is made to be used right on the connection. It is moisture and oxygen inhibiting and is also somewhat conductive. However, you'll not find it used where natural rubber insulation is employed because this "grease" is petroleum based in most instances and will attack rubber insulation.
So remember, petro based products should definately NOT be used where rubber or rubber based insulation is used.
Silicone is an electrical insulator so don't let it get between terminals that are to be connected electrically.

the substance that came on the battery terminals on my car (when new) looks like wheel bearing grease, can anyone conifirm that?

it was greenish in color.

use dielectric grease on all electrical connections. if you have replaced your seal beam headlights recently you might notice some on the pins already (or they might supply a tube). even though its on the contacts, the contacts will cut through it and make connection. the surrounding grease will seal out moisture and prevent corrosion. it good for base contacts on bulbs as well. you will want to fill the socket and then insert the bulb. the idea is to keep water from getting into the socket and making a mess.

i wouldnt fill plug boots. you will wind up with quite a bit of grease squirting out. i just use a small philips screwdriver to liberally coat the inside of the boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back