Did Valvoline Conventional Fail?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My gf's 2010 CRV has around 90k miles on it. I've been taking it to VIOC the last few years. The car has always had oil changes when the OLM hits 15%. The last few months have been busy and the car was neglected a bit. She went 1,786 miles over the OLM and this is what I found when I checked the oil before heading to Cape May, NJ.

It's times like this where using a synthetic oil is beneficial. Valvoline has never impressed me with their lackluster TBN retention and I'm wondering if this oil started to oxidize. Varnish on the dipstick and burnt oil that does not wipe away. She's getting a new car in a month or so, but I'm not one to neglect a car and let it get to this point. I've also never had this happen with any car I've ever owned or taken care of, however, this is the only time I've used conventional because that's what she usually has put in it. It's possible something else is going on as 1,700 miles over the limit is not much, especially in the Honda 2.4L.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

So it failed because it was run too long ... Not the oils fault obviously. VWB is a very good when run appropriately. Many UOAs on here have demonstrates this has the case.

Though I agree that having run a synthetic oil would have likely kept this oil in quite a bit better shape. I also agree that VWB does not maintain tbn the best. Even the older Synpower Valvoline was not the best for that either.

Something tells me you are like me buster... You like oil to be quite a bit cleaner even after use. I understand that for sure.

Hope you had a good day otherwise
smile.gif

Plenty of videos about oil change places not doing the oil changes that were paid for.....perhaps that has occurred.

Valvoline is also known to cause discoloration, that could be all it is...however the nonremovable crud indicates that the oil has been used beyond its useful life...I tested Valvoline at 5000 miles and it was fine...you said you went by OLM...what was the mileage?

No, there is nothing wrong with VWB (Daily Protection Conventional and now "Synthetic Blend" in new bottles).

The owner's manual for that car recommends using conventional 5W-20 and changing the oil around 15% on the OLM.

In many of these Hondas, it ends up being 7-10k miles on conventional motor oil. Now, yes modern conventional oils are way ahead of where they were even 15 years ago, but that is ridiculous even for today's oils. I think considering most modern cars that spec a synthetic recommended are saying to only go 7,500 - 10,000 miles, Honda's Maintenance Minder pushes oil changes too far.

We have a 2007 Honda CR-V and followed the MM for OCIs (15%, 8-10k miles on oil) and at 120k, the whole timing system had to be replaced. It was always kept full (didn't burn much if any) and Honda admitted that the OLM pushed oil changes too far leading to bad oil & poor lubrication. It's smart you are planning on getting rid of the car at 90k.

It's not the oil's fault, it's Honda's recommendation to follow the OLM/MM that is the problem.

So it seems your G/F ran the car about 9,000 miles or perhaps more on conventional oil. I wouldn't be blaming the oil either. Even when I run a synthetic blend in my Hondas I limit the interval to 5-6K.

When it was changed what was the total mileage on the oil including the 1786 miles over the 15% olm? I was under the impression that VWB was a decent 5,000 mi conventional but not one to run longer.

Whimsey

Originally Posted by CT8
Pull the valve cover, the dip stick is an amateur move.

Rough crowd
lol.gif

Varnish on the dipstick and burnt oil that does not wipe away.
My CRV has this too since new. Oil is darker than yours after a 5K run with the same engine but with DI. I rarely run Valvoline in it though its a good oil but usually something cheaper to be found. I only run synthetic though. This time im running M1AP its the darkest I have ever seen it in 5K miles.

I know I ran VWB in my Fusion for 7,500 miles on a few occasions with no obvious signs of oil failure or any discoloration as is shown in the OP's picture. Even UOAs were fine.

Originally Posted by Whimsey
When it was changed what was the total mileage on the oil including the 1786 miles over the 15% olm? I was under the impression that VWB was a decent 5,000 mi conventional but not one to run longer.

Whimsey

Yes, what was the total miles on the oil ?

Originally Posted by MontePrix28
No, there is nothing wrong with VWB (Daily Protection Conventional and now "Synthetic Blend" in new bottles).

The owner's manual for that car recommends using conventional 5W-20 and changing the oil around 15% on the OLM.

In many of these Hondas, it ends up being 7-10k miles on conventional motor oil. Now, yes modern conventional oils are way ahead of where they were even 15 years ago, but that is ridiculous even for today's oils. I think considering most modern cars that spec a synthetic recommended are saying to only go 7,500 - 10,000 miles, Honda's Maintenance Minder pushes oil changes too far.

We have a 2007 Honda CR-V and followed the MM for OCIs (15%, 8-10k miles on oil) and at 120k, the whole timing system had to be replaced. It was always kept full (didn't burn much if any) and Honda admitted that the OLM pushed oil changes too far leading to bad oil & poor lubrication. It's smart you are planning on getting rid of the car at 90k.

It's not the oil's fault, it's Honda's recommendation to follow the OLM/MM that is the problem.

Good post MP28,

I'll just add, I don't think synthetic oils protect better than conventional in terms of wear, but synthetic oils do last longer when pushing the miles.

To me over 6k miles is synthetic PCMO or conventional HDEO territory.

My experience when I was changing oil in the express lube was everyone that ran down to 0% on the olm with conventional oil usually had oil that looked like that. That's what made me feel like oil life monitors were way too optimistic. If someone used synthetic I'd say go ahead and follow the olm. If not, change it before it's below 40%.

In the 41 years I have used M1 oils I have never had any varnish on any dip stick from any of my engines. 10K OCIs all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back