Did the Dealer use the wrong oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bet Nissan thought this through when they offered the 2 yr maintenance plan on their vehicles.

Toyota will use 0W-20 in a Camry through this period but will only change it @ 10,000 OCI's.

I'm like others that wish all oils that meet the requirements for the vehicle would be listed in the owner's manual. But it's probably part of the model language provided by CAFE to encourage compliance.

I'd rather be using 5W-30 "legally" like the rest of the world in my Toyotas.

Originally Posted By: Branson304
I guess since the 5W-30 conventional is acceptable, I'd ignore it. I would rather have the 0W-20 synthetic for the upcoming winter.

Either is acceptable all year. I'd be considering 5w-30 conventional for the short OCIs. Despite them giving an option, that doesn't mean it's necessary to play with viscosities by season. They said 5w-30 and 0w-20, not SAE 30 and 0w-20.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: stower17
My buddy has a nissan and the dealer does the same thing. Owners manual even states 5W-30 or 5W-20 is fine but the OCI has to be shortened it says.

If the manual says you have to shorten your OCI with conventional 5w30, then you would have a leg to stand on to have the dealer change your oil more often, except if its spelled out in the contract. It probably is. If you are allowed so many oil changes, I would just use up your oil changes on the shortened OCI and once used up, then do what you want, of course, within warranty requirements.

I stand corrected. My friend owns Toyota's and Nissan's and it is Toyota that states to shorten the OCI if not using synthetic in some engines.

Originally Posted By: stower17
I stand corrected. My friend owns Toyota's and Nissan's and it is Toyota that states to shorten the OCI if not using synthetic in some engines.

Shorten if using conventional? Interesting. I've never heard of an auto maker admitting you can do that. toyota at least

That's the end of that engine. It's gonna get all stretched out from that thick 5W-30 being in there. When you switch back to 0W-20, your oil pressure will either be very low, or non-existant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back