Did my oil filter clog up and cause damage? Clattering/knocking noise on cold start

I assume the OP didn't save the filter for a disection?

Quick Qs for clarification ...
- Does this application have a filter with the BP in it? Or is the BP in the engine block?
- which Isuzu filter is it? (I tried to look it up on Wix; can't find the application)

Being this is a reasonably new engine, I can't imagine it's sludged up.

I find it unlikely that the BP would somehow fail for some lengthy period of time (15-20 mintues upon every cold start), but then somehow magically cure itself as the run cycle continued. Generally if a filter goes into BP,
- it's for a very short duration (mere seconds at cold start until the dP equalizes across the media), or
- worst-case, the filter media is completely blinded off, in which case the BP would never re-seat while running
Yet, the description of the audible condition doesn't fit either of those scenarios.

20k km is only like 12.5k miles, right? That's not really a big stretch for oil or filters. I don't think the OEM recommendations are out of line here. Isuzu makes good little diesels; they're not new at this.

Last edited:
I assume the OP didn't save the filter for a disection?
20211228_074846.jpg
I still have it here alongside with a fram ultra xg3600 that ran 20k km from another toyota diesel. Will be dissecting both of them soon. What should I look for?
Quick Qs for clarification ...
- Does this application have a filter with the BP in it? Or is the BP in the engine block?
- which Isuzu filter is it? (I tried to look it up on Wix; can't find the application)
ISUZU 8-98165071-0. Cross references with Donaldson P506082. Below is Donaldson's specifications so I will assume it is within or same with the genuine filter setting.

Bypass Valve, Yes.
Bypass Valve Setting LR, 0.75 bar (11 psi)
Bypass Valve Setting HR, 1.17 bar (17 psi)
Type, Full-Flow. Style, Spin-On

Being this is a reasonably new engine, I can't imagine it's sludged up.I find it unlikely that the BP would somehow fail for some lengthy period of time (15-20 mintues upon every cold start), but then somehow magically cure itself as the run cycle continued. Generally if a filter goes into BP
- it's for a very short duration (mere seconds at cold start until the dP equalizes across the media), or
- worst-case, the filter media is completely blinded off, in which case the BP would never re-seat while running
Yet, the description of the audible condition doesn't fit either of those scenarios.
Hmm so its probably not a faulty bypass relief valve is what you're saying?
20k km is only like 12.5k miles, right? That's not really a big stretch for oil or filters. I don't think the OEM recommendations are out of line here. Isuzu makes good little diesels; they're not new at this.
Yes I thought what i did was perfectly safe. 1 year or 20,000km/12k mi of mixed highway/city driving is nothing since i used a top/boutique full synthetic oil.
Is it certain premium oil was used? Did you do the OC yourself?
Personally did the oil changes. I put Amsoil 5w30 max duty signature series on it, Installed the oil filter myself, hand tight. Did inspections of oil level periodically, its always within acceptable levels on the dipstick.

In general, I like OEM parts. Perhaps you got a bad one.

I would still shorten the interval, since you’ve had a filter fail in that interval. 20K Km isn’t that crazy for a filter life, but your experience, with your truck, in your climate, with your driving, suggests that 20K is too long for a filter.

True. We have seen Gohner aka OEM Nissan oil filters that had a totally jacked up ADBV on them.

The funny thing is that I used the Isuzu genuine oil filter (8981650710) which is the original filter for this car...

Here's how it sounded when I said it sounds like diesel knock.
You said that the noise goes away after the engine runs for 15-20 minutes. If the engine has been driven and is quiet, and then it only sits hot for an hour it will not make any noises? Or will it make noise upon that kind of start-up?

Does this engine have hydraulic lifters? If so, could be if it sits over night or longer that a leaky ADBV allows some lifters to leak down. I know some lifters take quite a while to pump back up if they leak down.

I'm interested to see what the filter autopsy shows.

It does seem like it's probably just a faulty ADBV, and the lifter may have bled down a bit. If that's the case, there's no real damage to fear.

Reactions: JC1
I still haven't opened up the filter (due to holidays off and got sick (not covid!) due to it).

What do ya know boys and girls. After a few days of driving the dreaded clacking sounded came back, so its not the filter after all.

Will be updating this thread with oil filter dissection pics. This will be the first oil filter i'm gonna cut open so I'm still not sure where to start and I'll avoid trying to hacksaw as to not introduce some metal shavings into the filter.

Will be updating this thread with oil filter dissection pics. This will be the first oil filter i'm gonna cut open so I'm still not sure where to start and I'll avoid trying to hacksaw as to not introduce some metal shavings into the filter.
If you have tin snips they can be used to cut it open without creating contamination.

What do ya know boys and girls. After a few days of driving the dreaded clacking sounded came back, so its not the filter after all.
Does the clanking sound only happen at cold start-up and last 15+ minutes like before?

It could still be the filter if the noise is actually caused by a leaky ADBV allowing a lifter to leak down, or similar.

Is there any TSB from the vehicle manufacturer describing this issue?

Vehicle: 2017 Isuzu Dmax 3.0L 4jj1-tc engine.
Oil: AMSOIL 5w30 dhd max duty diesel.
Oil filter: Isuzu genuine oil filter.
Oil filter ran: 62,000km to 82,000km

Manual specifies change oil and filter 20,000km or 2 years.

So my isuzu's engine started making clattering noise on cold startup around 16,000km on the oil and filter. Thought it was the oil so changed to AMSOIL 10w30 heavy duty diesel. Still made the same clattering noise on startup. When I changed the oil filter at 82,000km the noise went away and sounded smoother on cold startup.

Could I have damaged anything?
What does the oil cap say re oil weight? You could ask the dealer, or others, what weight oil they recommend over there.

What does the oil cap say re oil weight? You could ask the dealer, or others, what weight oil they recommend over there.
nothing on the oil cap. but there's the guide under the hood to use 10w30. Manual states to use 10w30 (in bold), otherwise i can use 10w40, 15w40 and even straight 40! This engine is meant for trucks (Isuzu's fleet trucks use the same 4jj1 block).

Does the clanking sound only happen at cold start-up and last 15+ minutes like before?

It could still be the filter if the noise is actually caused by a leaky ADBV allowing a lifter to leak down, or similar.

Is there any TSB from the vehicle manufacturer describing this issue?
I talked to an isuzu mechanic. Told me its fuel knock and injectors take too long to re-learn. Possible injector re calibration or replace and re program to the ECU.. is that an expensive fix?

About the TSB, none at all man

UPDATE
But finally, I got to cut open my oil filter. I bought tin snips for this purpose but the construction is heavy duty, the snips could not even make a dent on the thick casing of the filter. So I busted out the metal saw and started working on the little pos. After several minutes of grunting I was able to cut it open. What do ya know. Its literally mint inside. Aside from the shavings introduced by hacksawing it I literally cannot find a flaw. No metal shavings at all in the folds. No signs at all of blockage either. The filter media is really well made.

Everyone else I've asked have had a heart attack when i told them i got to 20,000km on these. looks like it can go way beyond that.

Attachments

• IMG_20220125_155207.jpg
    IMG_20220125_155207.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20220125_155100.jpg
    IMG_20220125_155100.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20220125_155311.jpg
    IMG_20220125_155311.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20220125_155257.jpg
    IMG_20220125_155257.jpg